ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752728 Members
5793 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: End of Life for Proliant DL Servers

Windbreaker

End of Life for Proliant DL Servers

It's my understanding EOL for Proliant servers is a certain number of years after the retirement date. I downloaded the HP Bulletin tool and have looked up the retirement date for our servers (for example, DL360 was retired on December 31,2002), but I haven't found a definite answer on when EOL for any server is. Can someone tell me how many years after retirement the DL360, DL380, and DL580 servers (different generations) have left?

Thank you very much.
6 REPLIES 6
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

There is no hard and fast rule that HP has regarding this. It's possible it may be a longer period on very popular servers and less so on less popular ones. EOSL is somewhere between 5-7 years after the date of being first manufactured.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Windbreaker

Thank you for your prompt reply, Terry. Sadly, it still leaves me rather confused. Perhaps if I listed the servers I'm concerned about someone might be able to tell which have a five year EOL (after retirement) and which have a seven year EOL?

DL360
DL360G3

DL380G3
DL380G4

DL580G1
DL580G3

(I was also wondering if it's true the DL380G5 hasn't been retired yet? If not, I can see why...it's a great box!)

Thank you, once again, for any help that I may receive.
Windbreaker

Whoops! I also need one more clarification. Terry said, "EOSL is somewhere between 5-7 years after the date of being *first manufactured,*" but I thought the 5-7 year clock started when the units were *retired* not when manufacture started. Because if this were true, that could mean the still-being-manufactured DL380G5 has reached EOL.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Without knowing to much about HP servers lifecycles i can say that DL380 G5 is not end of life yet. Every Generation of a server is a "new" server with it's own end of life. I'm not sure but i think as mentioned above the EOL varies from short to long after the retirement. It depends on many varibles as popularity and access to spare parts and so on...
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Generally, if the server is still for sale by HP, then the server is not retired. I believe the DL380 G6 is not even for sale yet.

I also want to make clear that the different generations of the servers (G1-G5 .... for now) are completely different servers. The reason the servers (ie DL380 and others) share the same naming scheme is due to the fact the next server in the line to follow it performs the same function.

For the servers you listed there is no EOSL listed for them. On the G1 servers there are proposed dates, but they are off into the years 2010 - 2012.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Windbreaker

Thank you both. I believe Terry has given me the best answer to my (and more imporantly, my customer's) question, but I'd like to keep this thread open a bit longer in case someone else has some input.