1752789 Members
5920 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Enlightened me on setting the boot order compaq proliant 1600

redshift8
Occasional Contributor

Enlightened me on setting the boot order compaq proliant 1600

I have a compaq proliant 1600 that was given to me it has six 34.6 Gig hard drives in it but i can only access one of them that one has windows 2003 server on it.when i try to boot the the other drives i get the error non system disk i also tried to see all of the hardware on the server runing the diagnostic utility but it hangs at about seventy five percent i have the smartstart CD 5.5.I was going to try to see if i can setup a home lab using this server to practice for MCSA certification if anyone can shed some light on setting the boot order i would be greatly appreciative.

2 REPLIES 2
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Enlightened me on setting the boot order compaq proliant 1600

boot the setup cd, select view or modify settings (opt 4 I think, but it's been a while since I saw one of those) then scroll down to the controller, the boot devices are there.

Re: Enlightened me on setting the boot order compaq proliant 1600

I booted from the Smartstart CD and choose run system configuration utility it then started to configure all the hardware It gave me a choice to save the configuration and exit or review or modify hardware settingsi chose to modify hardware settings the choices were.

1.Important sys configuration info.
2.Add remove boards.
3.View and edit details.
4.Examine switches or print report.
5.Save and exit.

I chose to view and edit details.
When i scrolled down it showed:

Bus 1 compaq wide ultra-SCSI controller port 1.
Controller order first.
Host adapter 2.
Bus speed Auto

it shows all the hard drives listed under the above controller attached devices SCSI ID hard drives 0-5.

Controller order gives me options 1-15.
Host adapter gives me options 1-7.

Strange thing is i also have another controller:

Bus 1 compaq wide ultra SCSI controller port 2.

No hard drives are listed here
Controller order third
Host adapter number 0
Bus speed AUTO.

I have changed the controller order and host adapter number on the first controller but it will only boot the same hard drive over and over again.