1752319 Members
5517 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Enumerating server blade NICs

Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Enumerating server blade NICs

The BL p-Class switch documentation specifies that for a server blade running Windows, server NICs should map to switch ports like this:

NIC1 <-> SW A Port 1
NIC2 <-> SW A Port 2

However, on the 4 blades I've been working on today, they are the other way around (1->2 and 2->1).

Is there any easy way of checking this for these servers? I'd like to make sure that when I team my NIC's, I'm really teaming what I think I'm teaming. :)
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Enumerating server blade NICs

In Windows, you can simply remove the cable and see which connection gets effected. If your using a switch with just uplinks, then set 2 different IP addresses on the NIC's and from another source, ping both continuously (use ping -t). Once set up, disable the port from the switch and see which NIC stops responding... or just simply look at the Network Connections to see which one loses connection.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

What Blades models you use and Switch + generation, for both ?
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Steven, thanks.. but I meant "easy" as in "practical". Yanking cables out of full production servers is frowned upon by my boss. I'm looking for some tool (or technique that can be automated), to tell me which physical NIC port is mapped to which card in Windows.

KOV: p-Class GbE2, and BL-20's G2 and G3.

:)