cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic System Fan Behavior (ML350-G4)

Jacques Wainwright
Occasional Visitor

Erratic System Fan Behavior (ML350-G4)

This server is about 5 years old and has been running in the same environment ever since new. What happens lately is that the system fan spins up at to full speed at random intervals. Keeping an eye on the Windows task manager, it is clear to see that the speed increase is linked to the CPU load. Even a event running for 2 seconds at 2% CPU usage will cause the fan to speed up. Recently the server also randomly shuts down due to "system temperature". The Windows system log shows that the problem is at CPU thermal sensor #2. I have tried swapping the processors and the heat-sinks between the 2 sockets but the problem stays with sensor #2. Both heat-sinks are ice-cold when checking the heat levels on the heat-sinks while this over temperature event occurs.

This all looks like false alarms! As the server is out of warranty and I can't afford to replace the system board for a faulty CPU temp sensor, is there a way to disable the devices that manages the system fan speed and temperatures so that life can go on? I am willing to take my chances.