108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Error 1785 - NO Hard drives detected on a new ProLian ML310e Gen8 v2

SOLVED
Go to solution
JasonBK
Occasional Visitor

Error 1785 - NO Hard drives detected on a new ProLian ML310e Gen8 v2

I just bought a brand new ML310e Server and it's the first time I work on a server like that so you may forgive my lack of knowledge.
After it powers on, the following error appears:
*HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller (v3.54,0 0MB) 0 Logican Volume
*1785-Drive Array Not Configured
*NO Drives Detected.
I pressed F5 and checked the ACU, and i get error code 1: no Drives detected.
I restarted, pressed F9 to enter the BIOS setup 
System Options-->SATA Controller Options-->Enable Dynamic HP Array B120i RAID Support
was already enabled.
My Server comes stock with 2 x 1TB : MB1000GDUNU 
I also have 2 brand new WD2003FZEX that I would like to add later on, after resolving the 1785 error.

4 REPLIES 4
xdeetee
Frequent Advisor

I don't have ML310e, but it seems that ypu have not configured your array controller, logical drive and physical drives. Please consult the HP ROM-Base Setup Utility User Guide of your server..

Hints:

Off head, HP servers usually use the key F8 to access configuration. If it is safe to clear the previous configuration, do so and then create logical drive, choose RAID, add your physical drives to it. When you are satisfied with your setting, save and reboot the server

Example steps:

1. Restart or power up the server.
2. Press the F8 key to execute the 'Option ROM Configuration for Arrays (ORCA)'.
3. After the primary array controller has been configured with ORCA, restart the server.
4. Install the operating system. (“Operating System Installation” )
5. Install any necessary applications.

JasonBK
Occasional Visitor

@xdeetee Thank you for your answer but I tried the F8 key, it initiates something called iLO 4, the ORCA you refer to, seems to be the equivalent to ACU, in which still no drivers appear so I can create an array.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Make sure the drive backplane cable is plugged into the controller port on the system board

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JasonBK
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Problem solved!
I oppened up the case for the 20th time to check the cables and It appears the cable connecting the smart array and the motherboard was placed upside down!!!
I pressume due to haste they must have placed it in the wrong direction.
I think this is a major design flaw, because the cable fits inside the connector in both directions and is impossible to check if it is placed wrong, unless you unplug the cable and replace it.
Even the "clack" sound indicating that the cable is securely plugged in, is made regardless of the orientation you put the cable in!!!