ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748211 Members
4442 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 207: Invalid Memroy Configuration ML350 G4

MJ McBride

Error 207: Invalid Memroy Configuration ML350 G4

I am trying to upgrade my ML350 G4 to 4GB. I purchased 4 1GB strips. When I tried to install them the system halted with an error of
POST Error:207- Invalid Memory Configuration Single channel memory mode supports a single DIMM installed in DIMM socket 1. Please remove all other DIMMs or install memory in valid pairs. System halted.

The troubleshooting guide says to switch to Dual channel mode but I cannot find where that is done. Can anyone refer me to where the steps to do this are documented?

Thanks!
mike...
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Single and Dual Channel as far as I know it means the way memory modules are populated (not something in BIOS for example)
so you're right now populating 4 slots right?

did you get the same error populating just 2 slots?

try updating the System BIOS also?

try clear NVRAM (do you know the procedure?)

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I forgot to add this

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12009_na/12009_na.html#Memory

regards
MJ McBride

Hi Karlo,
Thank you for replying.

I have tried inserting the memory in several combinations. Slots 1 and 2, 2 and 4, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 3 and so on. I get the same error no matter what.

It does not make sense to me. If the specs for the server say I can install up to 4GB of RAM then I should be able to populate four slots with 4 1GB strips.

In the troubleshooting guide for the error message it reads as follows:

207-Invalid Memory Configuration - Single channel memory...
Audible Beeps: 1 long, 1 short
Possible Cause: DIMMs are installed in pairs, but the server is in single channel
memory mode.
...mode supports a single DIMM installed in DIMM socket 1. Please remove all other DIMMs or install memory in valid pairs. System Halted.
Action: Remove all other DIMMs or install memory in valid pairs and change the memory mode.

It is the "change the memory mode" part which I cannot find any documentation on. I've looked in the set-up manuals and in the CMOS menu and can't find any setting for Dual Channel vs Single Channel.

Also, could you do me a favor an check your link? I get a "Page cannot be displayed" when I try it. Thanks.
mike...
MJ McBride

Hi Karlo,
Thank you for replying.

I have tried inserting the memory in several combinations. Slots 1 and 2, 2 and 4, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 3 and so on. I get the same error no matter what.

It does not make sense to me. If the specs for the server say I can install up to 4GB of RAM then I should be able to populate four slots with 4 1GB strips.

In the troubleshooting guide for the error message it reads as follows:

207-Invalid Memory Configuration - Single channel memory...
Audible Beeps: 1 long, 1 short
Possible Cause: DIMMs are installed in pairs, but the server is in single channel
memory mode.
...mode supports a single DIMM installed in DIMM socket 1. Please remove all other DIMMs or install memory in valid pairs. System Halted.
Action: Remove all other DIMMs or install memory in valid pairs and change the memory mode.

It is the "change the memory mode" part which I cannot find any documentation on. I've looked in the set-up manuals and in the CMOS menu and can't find any setting for Dual Channel vs Single Channel.

Also, could you do me a favor an check your link? I get a "Page cannot be displayed" when I try it. Thanks.
mike...
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Can you check if the modules that you have purchased are:
1 GB Advanced ECC PC2700 DDR SDRAM DIMM Kit (1 x 1024 MB)
358348-B21
And if they are all identical?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

here

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12009_na/12009_na.html#Memory

regards
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Check if you are you using SIMM instead of DIMMs. For the server to work optimally, you would need Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMM) installed in pairs.