cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: 217-WARNING

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Error: 217-WARNING

The server is a PII-266 dual-processor with a pre-installed 128MB RAM. Upgraded memory to 640MB. During POST, newly installed memory is detected but has error: "217-WARNING". Processor 1 has no cache but Processor 2 has. After awhile, system would not continue because of error "HAL.DLL requires and MPS version 1.1 system..."

If I remove newly installed memory, the server works okay. The memory I want to use is a Kingston KTC9023/256.
2 REPLIES
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Error: 217-WARNING

kingston ram is not recommended in compaq servers..third party ram tends to cause certain problems including the one you have...if it works with just the base compaq ram in the system then the problem is the kingston ram..if you have another server with compaq ram in it try adding the ram from that server to this to make sure that the memory slots are not the issue..if it works fine then the kingston ram will not work right and is the issue in this case.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Error: 217-WARNING

I'm running into the same issue... after I upgraded to a Dual PII 333.
I 'm using COMPAQ Memory only and get the : "Processor 2 initialized with 00 kbyte cache"
When you say: "....the server works o.k. without the add. RAM"... do BOTH CPUs initialize with the 512 Kbyte cache???

Any reply in this regard would be appriciated!!!
Thanks.
Thomas