7089 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error copying files: Access is denied

Ville Lehtonen

Error copying files: Access is denied

Hello,

I have a problem on shared fileserver,
I am using Windows 2003 SP 1 and storage including 14 72,8 harddisks and D:\ drive is a shared network drive with 746GB of space. The hardware is HP ML380 GL3. RAIS is ADG6.

For some reason, all the client machines (XP) are unable to copy large files/folders to shared network drive. The client starts the copy process normally but after a while it gives error: "Cannot copy: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in use."
When copying smaller files, this is not a problem. Also when you copy/move files on the server, it works fine.

Now the storage still has 200GB of free space. Also, you might think that this would be share or security issue, but i have checked everything and they are ok. also done some testing by adding full control to the users, still i get the same error.
Even on the eventlog, I don't see any errors that could be related.

Can somebody help with this? What could be the problem on my server?

Br,
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Ville,
You Did not mention, Whats the OS on the HOST Machine .. windows 2003 ?

The "access denied" error message is returned to applications from the NTFS file system in order to ensure compatibility with existing applications. The use of an alternate or more descriptive error message would cause many applications to fail or behave erratically.

The Windows XP Professional client contains some enhancements in the area of copying encrypted files. Both the shell interface and the command-line now support an option to allow or disallow file decryption. When an encrypted file is copied to a target location that does not allow remote encryption, the user will be prompted with a dialog box that allows a choice of whether or not to decrypt the file.

Note : Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Service Pack allow for a registry setting that will allow files to be decrypted silently by applications or by using the command-line without the additional command-line parameters. To set this option create the following registry DWORD value:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\

DWORD Name: CopyFileAllowDecryptedRemoteDestination

Value: 1

Refer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457065.aspx

Warning: Changing Registry Values are risky as we all know. Attempt this at your own will.

Regards.
Ville Lehtonen

Hi!

I tried that but still I get the same error.
Does it require computer to be restarted?

I am using Windows 2003 Server SP1.

Actually the files/shares were restored to the array when the OS was Windows 2000. I had to recreate array to get free disk space to the server as it was running out of diskspace. It could not be extended anymore so I had to recreate the array and restore the files/shares from backup. I restored from BE 10d.

I upgraded to Windows 2003 some time ago and ever since I have faced this issue.

Anymore ideas what could be causing the problem?

Br,
Honored Contributor

Hello Ville,

1) Restart is needed.
2) Is it the same with all users ??
3) How about the Disk quota of the user ?

Regards.