1748100 Members
5596 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Error entering Raid 6 license key

dbdata
Advisor

Error entering Raid 6 license key

I installed a Dl380G7 years ago which, for reasons passing human understanding, we had to purchase a license key to run the Raid 6 option of the on-board P410 controller.    5 years later the servoer board failed and had to be replaced and of course the P410 initialization reported that a raid option was not supported.

So we went into the archives and found a crate back in the warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant and dusted off the printed copy of the email with the license key, shut the system down & rebooted got into the P410 array config --> view license (there was none) --> enter license key and got the very helpful message that "an error occured"

So tried entering the key in upper case, lower case, multiple times, had two different people enter it with a third being the wingman ... and all we got was "an error occured."

Eventually we had to release the system back to it's users and we're just doing without the Raid 6 at the moment, but I want to ask some questions:

1) Does the license key expire after some time?

2) Is there a diagnostic tool that can give us a bit more information that "an error occurred"?

3 REPLIES 3
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Re: Error entering Raid 6 license key

When RAID6 first came out it was considered a new and novel feature and thus many vendors charged a premium for using it. There was even some early licensing fees and royalties I believe. So, that is why the key was needed then and not so much anymore. 

Anyhow, you mention the P410 controller should be a PCIe based controller which should not loose its license when replacing the system mother board (as I think you mentioned had occured). 

Anyhow, on the license paper you found, are you sure it was an actual license key or an "Entitlement Order Number." or EON. Often times licenses need to be 'redeemed' using the EON and, at that time, you get an actual license key that you can type in. The reason I ask is becuase, if you know you have an EON (and not a license key) then we can get you connected with the licensing team to see if they can help get you a valid key (or retrieve the old one). 

Finally, I'll point you to this article but I am sure you already followed these steps

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02793166

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

dbdata
Advisor

Sadly the Linux version of the Array Uiltiy doesn't offer the license manager option...

Yes, this is the actual license key, not the entitlement order number, but the only thing I don't recall is whether or not we added the dashes.  In other words, the rom-based license manager tabbed to the correct field after we typed the first 5 characters and the next field accepted the next character ... but perhaps the software still required that we supply the dash?

3qy2k-97m2b-x27y4-54bxp-dnrb3   generates "an error occured"

But faith springs eternal -- if I know it should still work then we can assume I messed it up ... since in history it's usually a safe assumption.

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

No, I don't imagine you need to enter dashes if it is tabbing for you. Here is the link for the ORCA based installation of the key (just for reference). 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02793105

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02289065.pdf

It might be worth emailing the licensing support people to see if they can confirm your key is accurate or maybe even still issue you a new eval key just to make sure that it isn't an issue with the key itself. I find it best to email them and to give them as much information as possible (when you bought it, serial number of system, detailed explanation of the problem, etc). They usually respond within 8 business hours. You can find contact info for them here:

http://enterpriselicense.hpe.com/public/contact

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo