Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in the Event Viewer

andy au yeung
Occasional Contributor

Error in the Event Viewer

I have got the system error on my NT 4.0 server

The HP Parallel Port Driver service depends on the Parport service which failed to start because of the following error:
The system cannot find the device specified.

The HPZ 1284.4 Protocol Driver service depends on the HP Parallel Port Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it??

Thanks,
Andy
1 REPLY
Pat Flanagan
Honored Contributor

Re: Error in the Event Viewer

Andy,

Had the same issue on mine about 3 years ago. I'm afraid I can only point you in what's probably the right direction because I don't remember the details, and this involves the BIOS, which will vary from machine to machine. In other words, you may have to do a bit more research to apply the fix.

In my case, the parallel port was disabled in the BIOS. I enabled it, and all was fine.

If you still have an issue after doing this, you may want to check Services to be sure the Parport and HPZ... services you mentioned above are set to automatically start at startup, but I believe they are based on what you describe.

Finally, if you still have issues, you may want to use www.eventid.net to search for your specific event ID numbers. You can do a basic event ID search for free without paying to become a member.

Good luck,
Pat