108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error light on ProLiant DL 380 g4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Justin Fourie
Advisor

Error light on ProLiant DL 380 g4

Hi i just got a new ProLiant DL 380 g4 ( factory assembiled) a Day a go pluged it in just as it gets past the POST and looks for an operating system it gives on short beep and then boots no errors no problems but when i opened it up to see how it looked inside while running i saw this lign of green lights 8 lights with the word "status" writen above 7 out of eight are always lit up so i read up about theys lights and surmised that they are the iLO POST LED indicators and if they are lit up it means i have a hardware problem .
Can any one think what they mean exactly or how to try and correct this problem. i ran the diagnostic tests of the smartstart cd and they all complete sucsesfilly so i have no idea what is going on .
5 REPLIES 5
mark_283
Honored Contributor

Re: Error light on ProLiant DL 380 g4

Which LED lamp can you the concrete description be report to the error?
Justin Fourie
Advisor

The leds marked as 13 in the attatched pic
they are a group of 8 leds the first seven stay lit all the time onecs the server has booted and the last one stays off
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Have you attached the ILO UTP-port to your network ?
And is there a DHCP-server available on your network ?

When you attach keyboard an monitor to this server you can alter the ILO-setup to display IF and WHAT tcp/ip-adres this card has obtained from the DHCP-server.
Some networkswitches have problems with DHCP-clients because stadard there is a 30-sec delay from "link-up" to "send-data".
This can be resolved by either
1) configuring a fixed ip-adres
2) setting the switchport fixed to 100Mbit full/half-duplex and "portfast enabled"
3) using a hub instead of a switch

If this is operational try accessing the ILO-card from your webbrowser.
After all the ILO-port IS a management interface wich is designed to give you information about faults in your system.

good luck
Pieter
Justin Fourie
Advisor

there is a mouse keyboard and screen connected to the server the ilo has a static ip and is connected to a laptop using a cross over cable .
i connected using the web browser and it worked fine it also does not show any errors .

just spoke to HP support guy he says that this is noramll and has seen it on a server he worked on yesterday .

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can some one do me a favore and slid there server out of the rack opend it and see if the row of 7 lights is lit up green an the eight light off when there server is on and in windows or linux
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Chassis ID switch (DL380-x models)
S1 on the Chassis ID switch determines the chassis ID and functions independently from S2 and S3.
S2 and S3 control the function of the iLO Diagnostic LEDs. The on/off combinations of S2 and S3 determine the debug information displayed by the iLO Diagnostic LEDs. Before the server is powered up, the iLO Diagnostic LEDs represent the state of iLO. With the server powered up, the iLO Diagnostic LEDs represent the state of the Chassis ID Switch settings as indicated in the table.

FYI
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=470275&cc=us&docname=c00376492

Nothing is impossible