ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6631 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error on Device Manager Win 2003, Ent Edition, "Device Cannot Find Enough Free Resources"

Nigel Courtney
Advisor

Error on Device Manager Win 2003, Ent Edition, "Device Cannot Find Enough Free Resources"

Hello folkes,

I have installed a new graphics card into a Proliant DL740, the card works in so much as I am using the machine now to type this. However, when I examine the device properties I am finding that Windows says : Device Cannot Find Enough Resources".

Card is a Nvidia FX5200 PCI.

So far I have tried...

Disabled on board video card.
Resetting NVRAM.
Moving Card.
Changing IRQ in Bios (three times to be sure)
Removing other PCI cards.
OS - reinstall. 3 x cups of coffee.

I have installed the HP Server Support Pack to ensure I have all other drivers installed, however I do still have 3*PCI memory controllers outstanding as cannot find driver for them. I have searched on internet using hardware / vendor id codes with not much luck.
Could they be conflicting?, (I dont think they should since they are not functioning under windows.. but maybe they are on a hardware level?).

Any help would be appreaciated as I am almost fully functional now except a lag on screen refresh hence the upgraded card.
14 REPLIES 14
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: Error on Device Manager Win 2003, Ent Edition, "Device Cannot Find Enough Free Resources"

Nigel stats
I have assigned points to 0 of 5 responses to my questions.

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

nigel add one card at a time

that way you know what driver you are looking for ,for each card get its id and look on driverguide .com

also ensure you have used latest firmware maintenance cd from here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288107&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327496&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

enjoy :)

Nigel Courtney
Advisor

Thank you for your reply.

I believe the firmware is current.
Apart from the graphics card all other items are on board. So they all install at once.

Like I say, I need some help pinning down the cause of the 'code 12' error on the device manager. Simply pointing me in the direction of the general driver page unfortunatly does not answer the question.

I dont mean to sound ungrateful, but so far with both the enquiries I have made, each time I am pointed to the same page, I have been through all the downloads carefully to make sure I have the correct items installed..
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

have you seen this nigel
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

can you try a diff slot with other cards removed to verify if it is a driver or resource issue,,
Nigel Courtney
Advisor

Hi, yes, I have checked that web page out already. But thanks for flagging it.
Nigel Courtney
Advisor

I have tried different slots, but will try again, am I right in thinking that basically there is nothing I can disable on - board to free up resources on a proliant dl740?
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

ok in bios

plug and Play Operating System" in bios disable this windows does not need this
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

remove detatch all devices including cd rom etc

when the card is working then add devices one at a time to find the culprit.