ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753546 Members
5462 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error on startup: Failed to retrieve logical disks.

Michael Rawlins

Error on startup: Failed to retrieve logical disks.

I'm trying to understand why this Proliant DL380 (running Windows Storage Server) server is getting an error. I recently shutdown to install a battery. Upon restart I see an error in the event viewer. EventID is 4160, source is HP Storage Server Management Service. Description is:

Failed to retrieve logical disks. An unexpected exception was thrown.

I'm a novice Windows users that is tasked with administration of this storage server setup. Thanks in advance for help getting everything up and running correctly again.
6 REPLIES 6
cnb
Honored Contributor

Exactly which battery did you change?

Which RAID module(s) are you using?

Which DL380 are you using (G2, G3, G4, etc...)

Run ADU and post the results here.

Rgds,
Michael Rawlins

> Exactly which battery did you change?

External battery. Made by APC.

> Which RAID module(s) are you using?

Don't know. How do I determine this?

> Which DL380 are you using (G2, G3, G4, etc...)

G4

> Run ADU and post the results here.

What is ADU? How to run it?

I noticed on startup an error message that began "LSI Logic...." followed by something about failed to mount.....

Not sure if this failure to retrieve disks is related, but the most pressing concern is that backups are now incomplete due to error in opening an .xml file in a Local Settings/Temp directory. Says something about EC=Sharing Violation.
cnb
Honored Contributor

ADU is Array Diagnostic Utility

There are several versions of your Storage Server so we need to know which one and how it's configured:

Start here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=439729&taskId=135

Then pick which O/S it has installed and from there you will see Software - System Management. There's a list of the supported versions of ADU. Your system should have something already installed, but if not go ahead and install ADU. Then run the report and post it here.

Another thread with some interesting resolutions:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1074916

Rgds,
cnb
Honored Contributor

I forgot to add that it sounds like the RAID controller lost the configuration when it was powered off. This could be due a bad nvram battery on the controller or that the drives are external and were powered on after the host system was.

Rgds,
Michael Rawlins

I've found ADU and run it. Attached is the output. All the drives seem to be accessible right now.

Is there a way to save the output that scrolls on startup? That is where I see an error message about "LSI Logic ....." that quickly disappears.

It looks like the issue in that other post was with a G2 machine.

cnb
Honored Contributor

Check the iLO logs for startup messages and use the remote port to capture console messages during OS startup.

See this guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf

Rgds,