cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors when loading dual-booting OS

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Errors when loading dual-booting OS

I am having difficulty loading a second copy of my operating system on my server. My first copy works fine and is on partition 2; the second copy barely gets through the setup process. After the setup process is complete and you need to reboot the server, it gets to the Boot.ini screen and immediately loads the OS being setup; however the following error appears:
"Windows NT could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

After rebooting I go into the copy of WTSR that works and I examined the Boot.ini file and found something very curious.......
"[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINNT
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00"

It seems that when Windows is setting up it edits the boot.ini incorrectly and puts the scsi(0) in the boot.ini instead of multi(0).
I manually edited this and upon reboot I get the same error message as above with an extra error message "Boot record signature A55 not found"

Any ideas?????????

Thanks,

Chris
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Errors when loading dual-booting OS

What type of controller are you using with this configuration?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

After many attempts at installing a second copy of Terminal Server, I decide to use Windows 2000 Server as another operating system. I did not have any problems installing Windows 2000 on the server. Perhaps new drivers in 2000, help fix the problem.

Thanks,

Chris
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback