1753967 Members
7319 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

I have a NeoServer 150 internet plus model with a 56k modem installed, and I was told I can't install a DSL card but I was wondering if I could install a EtherFast Cable/DSL Router instead in order to use the server with DSL service instead of using the 56k modem?

If this is not possible than could someone please give me any other ideas on how I can use high speed internet access with this server?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

I really don't know how does a Cable/DSL router works, but I can tell you that if it is connected via ethernet then it is most likely going to work.
I have cable connected to my Neoserver 150, it is connected to the "high speed internet port", the cable modem that I have is a surfboard SB3100D and it works. I have another one at my office connected to a DS0 via a Cisco Router.

If the Cable/DSL router acts like a gateway and it allows for computers to be connected to it via network cards then you are done. Get it and plug it directly to the neoserver's "high speed acces port" (The second NIC), it must work that way.

Another option is to get rid of the Neoserver's OS. There are many succes stories with RedHat 7.1 but I think that pretty much any Linux distribution will work fine. Ahh, it also works fine with Windows 98.

By the way, there is no support from Compaq anymore (if it ever was) so...

Good luck!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: EtherFast Cable/DSL Router

Great, thank you very much for your help.