Event ID 41

Hi all,

i m getting error:

Event Type:        Information

Event Source:    Application Popup

Event Category:                None

Event ID:              41

Description:

The CPUs in this multiprocessor system are not all the same revision level.  To use all processors the operating system restricts itself to the features of the least capable processor in the system.  Should problems occur with this system, contact the CPU manufacturer to see if this mix of processors is supported.

although server is working fine. server is DL 380 G5 with windows 2003 enterprise edition service pack2.

i have two processors with different stepping

socket 1 : processor stepping 000b

socket 2: processor stepping 0007.

which one is higher stepping and which one is lower stepping.

what do you think what is required for the above message.

Regards,

parkar

UAE

3 REPLIES 3
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Re: Event ID 41

hi,

Please update the bios to the latest one and check, if the error will be there.

Thanks!

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

If the server is working fine, I would say you can continue to use it the way it is, even though both the processors have same part numbers ( HP spare part number ) the stepping would be deferred because both the processors would have been manufactured at different times, stepping is nothing like a rev number. 

If Intel/AMD find any bugs in the logic or if they want to overclock the cpu, they would make the cpu better in the next rev with a new stepping. I dont know which stepping is higher in your case. If you want that event id to go away only way would be to replace both cpu at same time ( which may ensure that you would get same stepping cpus ). If the server is posting and working fine, I would suggest just stick with current cpu's.

Hope this has helped

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
noor Parkar_1
Occasional Advisor

yes i can continue to work as it is. but operating sytem should not affect with performance else i need to replace it.

i asked which stepping higher or lower simply because i am supposed to put lower stepping processor in one(first) slot and another higher in the second socket.

also i read on google search that if stepping is different then operating system will make use of lower stepping processor.

so for e.g if processor have A, B, and C flags and one processor has A flag. then Operating system will make use of A flag only. and i need to disable B and C flag.

My plan is to check another same partnumber processor from spare if the stepping is matched then i can replace the processor.

so i know if i didnot change and keep it is then operating system performance should not affect.

Regards,