108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Event ID 9 during backup (cpqarry2)

SOLVED
Go to solution
André van der Goes
Occasional Advisor

Event ID 9 during backup (cpqarry2)

We got an Proliant 5500 which seems to be working fine, except for one problem. During backup the eventlog is filled with event id 9 (see below) on cpqarry2. It doesn´t seem to have an influence on the the job itself, because the backup finishes successfully. The tapeunit is an vs-80 unit connected to the onboard SCSI.

The HP management log contains no errors. When running the ADU I get one error, not sure if it is related:
" SCSI Port 1 Drive ID 9 is not stamped for monitoring". I found that there was a trick to (re)stamp the drive by changing the accelarator size and then changing it back, but I don´t seem to have that option. The only option I have is to enable or disable it per logical volume. But I am not sure if it is related.

When I try to find information on this event on the internet it is almost always referenced with other events happening as well, but that is not my case (yet). The only possible cause I can find on the Microsoft Event ID 9 KB article is a bad driver or a hardware problem. The driver is version 5.14.0.0 and that is the latest version available for download.
It could be a pending hardware error, but then I would except more problems and not only during backup.
So any advice about how to proceed would be appreciated.

The event as logged:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: cpqarry2
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 15-8-2005
Time: 3:39:59
User: N/A
Computer: ITXDC
Description:
The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqarry21, did not respond within the timeout period.
Data:
0000: 00 00 10 00 01 00 6a 00 ......j.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 01 01 00 50 00 00 00 00 ...P....
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 ........
6 REPLIES 6
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Event ID 9 during backup (cpqarry2)

Hi

Suggest following:

1. Clean tape drive head using cleaning cartridge.

2. Change tape media

3. Apply latest service pack to operating system

Regards
Mahesh
André van der Goes
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response. I didn´t realise that the error could be related to a drive-cleaning problem.
Adding to this is the fact that our cleaningtape has gone missing and the the new ordered tapes are not for a vs drive...

I´ll have new cleaning tapes tomorrow and will test this.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Andre,

One other thing which might be worth trying is to reduce the polling on the SCSI bus when backups are carried out. The Management agents can be altered to see if this makes any difference, if not then juts put it back the way it was.

What to try: -

Go to the Control Panel
Open Compaq (or HP) Managemnent Agents
Select "SCSI Information" on the left
Move it to the "Inactive Agents" side by clicking the "Remove" button
Click the SNMP tab at the top
Change the "Data Collection Interval" to 30 minutes instead of the default 2 minutes.
Click OK
The SNMP service will stop and restart after this to make the changes.

Monitor the system for event ID 9 errors after these changes. If there is no improvement put the values back to what they were.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Andre,

I forgot to add that you can ignore the ADU message about a drive not being stamped for monitoring. This is not a fault.

Brian
André van der Goes
Occasional Advisor

After cleaning the tapedrive the errors seem to have ceased. (If only we hadn´t lost the cleaningtape... )

Thanks for the help!
André van der Goes
Occasional Advisor

Several days on the error hasn't reappeared. Case closed!

Thanks for the help