ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753439 Members
4930 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event Notification - CimNotify Not working...

Colin A
Advisor

Event Notification - CimNotify Not working...

This is an old one for me and I always seem to visit it when I set up an new HP...

I have a 2003 SBS server running exchange.. Email in and out of the server works fine...

I want to get emails of any HP related problems via the Insight Events... I've set it all up putting in the mailserver etc..., but it always fails...

This is the error in event viewer...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CimNotify
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 5
Date: 17/07/2007
Time: 14:56:27
User: N/A
Computer: DLCNLOGIN1
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 5 ) in Source ( CimNotify ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Foundation Agents: Generic Trap.

Any help would be very much appreciated...
5 REPLIES 5
Xavi.e.r
Frequent Advisor

DO you have the HP management agents installed? if not then install them according to your HP server's model from HP website.
Once you install it, go to start>HP management Agents>Event Notifier Config and follow the instructions, make sure you enter a valid SMTP server otherwise it won't work.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Colin A
Advisor

Done all that..., but it still seems to have the problem... :-(
Xavi.e.r
Frequent Advisor

You may have already done this as well but who knows, do you have your DLCNLOGIN computer allowed to relay on your SMTP server?

Also, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the HP Agents? have you check the communities and permissions on the SNMP service?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Colin A
Advisor

Well, I've got to the bottom of this one..., and I've read a lot of stuff on the net about dependancys and allsorts, none of which worked..

The CimNotify service works fine but when I send a test trap to it I don't get the email...

This is how I fixed it...

In Exchange, go to PROTOCOLS, SMTP, DEFAULT SMTP CONNECTOR, right click on it and select PROPERTIES, then ACCESS, AUTHORIZATION and tick the allow ANNONYMOUS access box...

Not sure how secure that is, but it fixed the problem..
mbrownnyc
Advisor

That's correct, the event notifier email client does not probide SMTP AUTH or encryption.  Therefore, you would have to either provide a relay server within the security realm where the event notifier exists, that in turn provides security, or disable this security check on your server (try to be more restrictive than the above example).

Reviewing the Exchange logs would have revealed that the client was failing to authenticate.