108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Event Notifier - No Event Triggered on Disk Failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
bdam
Occasional Visitor

Event Notifier - No Event Triggered on Disk Failure

I have a ML110 G7 with the standard non-hot plug SATA RAID controller configured with a 1+0 array running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation for which I would like to recieve emails when a HD fails in the array.

Since this is the only server we have it would seem that setting up SIM would be overkill so I was hoping to use the PSP's simple Event Notifier to do this.  I set it up and confirmed it's working using the USB device notifications.  However, when I pull out a drive I get nothing.  I checked the event logs and Systems Management Homepage and they both show quite clearly that the drive in question is offline and that the Smart Array has a problem.  If I reboot the machine the Event Notifier tells me that there were POST errors and that the array is degraded.  I tried installing Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service but the install told me that it couldn't find any supported hardware.

Any ideas?  It just seems odd that I'll be warned of just about every event except for a drive failure.

3 REPLIES 3
PGTRI
Honored Contributor
bdam
Occasional Visitor

Re: Event Notifier - No Event Triggered on Disk Failure

During the initial setup I installed the latest driver using Smart Update Manager and just now confirmed with the Version Control Agent to be 6.16.0.64. 

I had already tried to install the Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service but it gives the following error:

"The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system"

bdam
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Event Notifier - No Event Triggered on Disk Failure

What I was able to do was to extract the Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service installer files and run the installer directly.  This allowed the service to install, detect a drive failure, and cause a notification event.

So it would appear that the wrapper that HP has put around this installer is faulty in that it did not preperly detect the hardware.