ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748170 Members
3969 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Exchange HDDs (SAS 10k) between DL360 G7 and DL380 G7

amaranth

Exchange HDDs (SAS 10k) between DL360 G7 and DL380 G7

I want to exchange 4 HP SAS HDDs (6G DP, 300GB) from DL360 G7 (1 RAID 10 array; Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) to 2 RAID 1+0 arrays (for data, OS in another array - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard too) in DL380 G7 and 4 HP SAS HDDs (146 GB) 2 RAID 1+0  arrays from DL380 G7  to 1 RAID 10 in  DL360 G7. How to make it without reinstalling OS on DL360 G7 server? Thanks you!

5 REPLIES 5
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Exchange HDDs (SAS 10k) between DL360 G7 and DL380 G7

Remove one 146 GB hard drive at a time and install one 300 GB drive in the DL360 G7 and allow it to complete re-build. Similarly, Install the 146 GB drive in DL380 G7 server and allow it to complete re-build.

Once re-build is completed, move one hard drive at a time and allow for re-build completion, this activity is bound to take some time and without re-installing the operating system.

Once all 300GB drives are in the DL360 G7 server, then the array size may be extended and/or expanded and this requires a cache module to be installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

amaranth

What about HDDs different size 146 Gb != 300 GB? And what about data on their arrays?

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Before performing the above recommendation, please backup data to save from any eventuality. When the 300 GB drive is installed with 146 GB drive array, only 146GB is taken, thus when it rebuilds rest of the space will become available when all the four drives have been swapped for array extension or expansion, theoretically. Regards, Vijayasarathy
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

amaranth

I'm replace 300 GB one HDD from DL 360 by 146 GB HDD and I get error instead of you rebuilding:

Error code 274

146 GB 2-Port SAS Drive at Port 1I : Box 1 : Bay 4 is bad or missing.

To correct this problem, check the data and power connections to the physical drive.

For more information, generate a diagnostics report under the Diagnostics tab.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

It now appears that from the beginning, my replies to this post are incorrect t. I apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. Even after you pointing out that difference in capacity of the drives, this had not struck me.

I would like to take the opportunity to amend this error. When the capacity of the hard drive being replaced in an array is lower that the capacity of the existing disks, then it will not be made part of the array and this error message indicates this situation. As the drive is not made part of any array, data on the disk should remain without modification.

As such, from the given scenario, it does appear that as far as DL360 G7 server goes, re-installation of operating system is necessary as the disks targeted for replacement is 146GB, which is less than the capacity of an individual disk capacity of the existing array.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo