Re: Expand Raid Level 0+1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rene Eblinghaus
Occasional Advisor

Expand Raid Level 0+1

Hi,

i have a raid 0+1 with 2 harddisks.
Now i bought another 2 harddisks with the same size. i want to expand the logical drive to have more resources. what i have to do ???
must i delete the mirror first ???

when i use the express wizard in acu to expand the array they will create a new logical drive but i dont want a new one. Or should i use the configuration wizard to expand the array ? when i use the configuration wizard they appears an dialog wheere i can add two disks to the existing array and they show me a container with free space below the logical drive.. is this the right step ??

Thanx for help..

Rene

6 REPLIES 6
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

when i use the express wizard in acu to expand the array they will create a new logical drive but i dont want a new one. Or should i use the configuration wizard to expand the array ? when i use the configuration wizard they appears an dialog wheere i can add two disks to the existing array and they show me a container with free space below the logical drive.. is this the right step ??

Yes it is .. once you see that free space click the existing logical drive and then choose extend.

Take a read through this for limitation on extending logical drives that are in Windows
Rene Eblinghaus
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

when i add the two new disks too the exisiting array i cant choose extend i only can press the button apply these changes.

what i have to do after this ???
i want to solve my questions before i do it tommorow :) maybe its easier as i think
I hope so...

Rene
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor
Solution

apply those changes then extend the logical drive :)
Rene Eblinghaus
Occasional Advisor

ok thanx
i think this is the right step :)
i will do it tommorow..

btw what is faster a raid 0+1 with four harddisks ( 2 disks for mirror ) or a raid 5 with 3 harddisks ???

Thax for your help
Greetz Rene

Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

Technically speaking i think the 0+1 would be faster since your reading the data from 4 drives at once compared to reading the data from 3 drives.
Rene Eblinghaus
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

me again... ok now i pressed the button "apply these changes" and now i must wait i guess :)
3 % in 30 minutes now...

Rene