108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand disk in array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hansa75

Expand disk in array

[see file for screendump)

I have a windows 2000 Proliant server with a smart array controller 5300 with a RAID 5.

From the start i had three disks on 36 GB each. The space was running out (on the E drive), so I bought 3 new 300 GB disks and replaced the disks one by one.

After I replaced the disks, I went in to the "Array config utillity" and choosed "Extend logical drives"... This beacuse I wanted to keep the driveletter and just expand the disk.

After I have done this i receives the status " Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on logical drive 2 ( RAID 5 in array B). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve. "

My question is, what to do now?
9 REPLIES 9
SPa
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The Message appears to be Normal and depending on the Disk Sizes the time taken to complete Background initalization varies.

The Initialization is Queued if read/write operations on the logical drive is more and starts when is free.

When was the expansion performed.
Hansa75

[see attachment]

Oki... Thank you for that..Now it seems that the status message is gone, but it took several hours.

But now what to do? The size of the disk is still the same as before.. I want the 119 GB on the disk to be added to the E:drive.

Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

You need to use diskpart utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590
Hansa75

Oki... I will download the diskpart.exe and runs it. After I have done this, is it anything more to do after that?

Extra Q:
After I changed the disks I used the Utillity to add all the new free space. Now It seems that some space was left out. Anyone know why? Is it any limitations how much to add or something? Can I later expand the disks with this space?
Hansa75

Oki... I will download the diskpart.exe and runs it. After I have done this, is it anything more to do after that?

Extra Q:
After I changed the disks I used the Utillity to add all the new free space. Now It seems that some space was left out. Anyone know why? Is it any limitations how much to add or something? Can I later expand the disks with this space?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>>Oki... I will download the diskpart.exe and runs it. After I have done this, is it anything more to do after that?

Nothing. Just run diskpart - it takes less then one minute to expand drive.

>>Extra Q:

I don't know why some space was left out. I assume for windows 2000 sp4 limitation is 2 Tb. You can expand array B with this space. Just make sure you have last server firmware (server BIOS, SmartArray firmware,...) and last Array configuration utility.
Hansa75

Oki ... Last Q before I run the utillity:

Do I have to convert the space to a NTFS/logical drive before I use the diskpart or should it be unallocated?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>Do I have to convert the space to a NTFS/logical drive before I use the diskpart or should it be unallocated?

You need to leave this space unallocated.

P.S. Since you are new on ITRC forums read
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#22
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Having a Good known Backup would be recommended as a best practice before using diskpart