1752536 Members
4870 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand disk space for Proliant DL380 Gen9 with Smart Array P440ar

mismst
Visitor

Expand disk space for Proliant DL380 Gen9 with Smart Array P440ar

We have Proliant DL380 Gen9 server, Would like to ask, How we can expand the disk space in secondary drive without data loss? We have the configuration as below:

Running Smart Array P440ar Controller with 2 x 450GB SSD SFF [RAID 1 configuration]drive #1, and 4 x 960GB SSD SFF [RAID 10 configuration].drive #2. The storage bay still have 2 available SFF hard disk slot.

Would like to ask, Is it possible to directly add 2 x 960GB SSD SFF new hard disk to expand the drive #2 RAID 10 configuration without having loose and data? Kindly please help to advise.

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the steps before extending the raid.

1. Update firmware RAID controller
  2. . Install the latest version of SSA for Windows
  3.  Ensure that you are starting the latest version of SSA cause the old version is staying. (or uninstall the old version before)
  4. Enjoy expanding your RAID5
  5. Please boot the server with the run SSA.

Open the SSA, select configure--> select the controller--> select the array you wish to extend and then click on "manage data drives" on the right side in the "actions" menu. The possible extend option will show up. 

HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) for Windows 64-bit

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_891c6d6803044e5db3e0c2a5ab#tab-history

NOTE: Make sure you should have the complete data backup.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

draganstoicov
Visitor

Hello,

Can you help with an info?

We have a DL380 gen 9 with Smart Array P440ar also. there are 2 data arrays with 8 logical drives 2 for the OS, and 6 for storage. we would like to upgrade the storrage (the 6 drives) from 1.2 TB each to 2.4 TB each. can you help me on how to do that?

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@draganstoicov wrote:

Hello,

Can you help with an info?

We have a DL380 gen 9 with Smart Array P440ar also. there are 2 data arrays with 8 logical drives 2 for the OS, and 6 for storage. we would like to upgrade the storrage (the 6 drives) from 1.2 TB each to 2.4 TB each. can you help me on how to do that?

You can go through the below steps:

>> Before you proceed with any hardware changes, it's crucial to back up all your data on the existing drives. This ensures that you can recover your data in case anything goes wrong during the upgrade process.

>> Acquire six 2.4 TB SAS or SATA hard drives (or SSDs, depending on your performance and budget requirements) that are compatible with your server and the P440ar controller. Make sure the new drives have the correct form factor (e.g., 2.5" or 3.5") to fit your drive bays.

>> Confirm that the new drives are compatible with your server by checking the HPE compatibility matrix or contacting HPE support for guidance.

>> Ensure your server's firmware and drivers, including those for the Smart Array P440ar controller, are up to date. You can download the latest firmware and drivers from the HPE website.

>> Plan a maintenance window during which you can shut down the server and perform the upgrade without affecting ongoing operations.

>> Replace Drives:

1. Shut down the server gracefully.
2. Physically replace the existing 1.2 TB drives with the new 2.4 TB drives one by one.
3. Make sure to use the correct drive bays and maintain the same order to avoid any issues with logical drive configurations.
4. Securely connect the new drives to the backplane and close the server.

>> Boot the Server>>Power on the server>> During boot, you'll likely have to access the Smart Array P440ar controller configuration utility. This is typically done by pressing a specific key (e.g., F8) when prompted during boot.

In the controller utility, you'll need to expand the existing logical drives to incorporate the new drives. This process is typically called "expanding" or "extending" the array.

>> Depending on the operating system you are using, you may need to extend the partitions on the operating system drives to take advantage of the additional space. This can be done using the OS's built-in tools or third-party partition management software.

>> Once the logical drives are expanded and your OS configuration is updated, you can restore your data from the backups you created earlier.

>> After the upgrade is complete, thoroughly test your server to ensure that everything is functioning as expected. Check the RAID status, file system integrity, and application functionality.

Keep in mind that this process should be carried out by someone experienced with server hardware and data management, as mistakes can lead to data lost. Also, consider any RAID configuration changes if necessary to optimize your storage for redundancy and performance.

I hope this helps others to.

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.