1753973 Members
7773 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand or extand array

KoosvH
Occasional Advisor

Expand or extand array

I have a Proliant ML350 G4 with a Smart Array Controller 641, running Windows 2003 server with SP1.
In Windows we have three partitions: C, D and E. C: is the System OS, D: and E: are for data.
Because D: and E: are running out of diskspace we replaced the disks by greater capacity ones.
First I upgraded Window's array driver, SystemROM and rom on the 641-controller. I also use the latest vesion of the System Management Homepage and the ACU.
Yesterday I replaced the three drives one-by-one. This gave no problems.
Now I am informed that I have to follow these steps:
1. Use ACU to EXPAND array
2. Use ACU to EXTEND logical drive
3. Use DISkPART to drives D: and E:

BUT: In the ACU (launched from Windows 2003) I see the array with one Logical Drive (139 GByte) and Unused Space (211 Gbyte).
When I select the logical drive I have four options on the right side of the screen:
Migrate Raid
Extend Size
Delete
More Info.

When I select the Unused Space I only have one option: Create Logical Drive.

Where is the option to Expand the array.

What is the right procedure? Expand (HOW?) , create logical drive or Extend Size?
Can this be done online or do I have to use the SmartStart CD?

Koos

-------------------------------

P.S. This Thread has been moved from Servers --> General to Servers --> Proliant (ML,DL,SL) - Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

one feature form the SA641 is the " Logical drive capacity extension (online)" .. so yes its possible to do this online.

just select your logical drive and extend the logical volume

cheers mike
KvH
Advisor

Thanks for your reply.
So you say: Extend logical volume.
When I select the existing Logical volume I can choose: Extend Size. Is that the option I need?
The ACU User Guide says: not all operating systems support logical drive extension through ACU (page 25) I am using Windows 2003 server.
Is this yet possible?

Koos van Harmelen
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Koos,

thats the option. I've tested with Win2000 -> it works. But be sure to have a fullbackup, 'murphys law' is everywhere ;)

cheers Mike
KvH
Advisor

I am now extending the logical volume.
I don't see any progress-%.
I select the logical drive in ACU and select More Information. No progress bar.
Only the Status says: Background Parity Initializing/Queued.

In ACU, Status Message, I see this message:
#785 Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on logical drive 1 ( RAID 5 in array A). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.

How do I know if extending is running fine?
On the three disks the orange leds (Led 2) are "Flashinh", saying The drive is rebuilding or undergoing capacity expansion.

Koos
KoosvH
Occasional Advisor

Solved. After I started the extending Logical Volume process in ACU I did something else. When I came back at the server-console, 1 hour later, I saw nothing happening . . . because the extending had finished. I had expected that the process would take very long.
In Windows Disk Manager I could see unassigned space, so the extending has successfully finished.

Koos
jvtexas

Will these steps work for extending the C drive; which contains the OS?

I want to add another 146gig HD for a total of 4 in the array.
Right now I just want to extend the C drive from 20 to 40gig.
Later on I want to extend the existing data drive (F) or add another drive.
KvH
Advisor

The array contains one logical drive with three Windows partitions (C:, D: and E:). I expanded the array with the ACU. Partition C: is the system partition. These expanding-process gave no problems.
With Windows' DiskPart utility I could extend the partitions D: and E:. But I first had to create free space "between" D: and E:.
Remember: with diskPart you cannot extend a partition with the system on it.