Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding ML370 G3 Array

Vandermiet
Occasional Visitor

Expanding ML370 G3 Array

Hi!

I have a ML370 G3 server with a six 72 GB SCSI disks array based on RAID 5. We are running short of disk space and that is why I decided to buy two new Fujitsu Siemens HDDs (300 GB each). The following components are visible in the hardware manager:
- Compaq 64-Bit/66MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter (two pieces)
- LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter (two pieces)
- Smart Array 642 Controller
I would like to add the new HDDs to the already existing array. I have made everything that came to my mind (BIOS upgrading, cable and controller changing,etc.) but the disks are not visible in the ADU. The only disks detected while controller scanning are the ones already set into the RAID.
The other option is to create a new array with RAID 1 or RAID 5 containing only the new HDDs. Do I need any other hardware to set up such a configuration? Can onyone provide me with a step-by-step instruction how to expand such array? Is it possible to expand such array without recreating it and setting up the server once again?
Any help appreciated.

Best regards,

Lukasz
5 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Expanding ML370 G3 Array

Hi Lukasz,

The ML370 G3 only has a 6-slot hot-plug drive backplane. If you already have 6 72Gb disks installed how did you add the others?

Are they in the media bays below the CD-ROM drive? If so, you can't connect them to the existing drive backplane as it only has one cable in and is self-terminating. You may be able to use the 642 external port with a VHDCI to Wide SCSI cable combination to add these drives in a RAID 0 or RAID 1 using ACU but the cable would have to go outside and then come back into the chassis which is not ideal. The drives would also need unique SCSI ID's (0 and 1 for example).

You can't make them part of the existing raid 5 since they would behave like 72Gb drives if you added them and you would not be able to access the additional capacity.

If you attach them to the LSI logic or the embedded SCSI on the system board they will be seen as single 300Gb drives as these are not raid controllers. Configuring them as software mirrors would also have an overhead in performance since it will never be as good as a proper hardware raid solution.

Can you explain how you hope to achieve this without an external disk cabinet?

Regards,

Brian

Vandermiet
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your answer! First of all I forgot to add that I have a disk cabinet, but this is just a pieces of metal with a power supply and two SCSI cables. It is able to handle up to four SCSI drives on two separate cables. I plugged my two disks with one of the cables to the server using a SCSI socket located on the back of the server. However, I am unable to detect them neither using Smart Start, nor ACU. I am not a very experienced admin so could you please give me some advices? Or link me to a paper with a manual or something like that? Is there any chance that the disk are included into the array (even as a 70 GB HDDs) after I create it completely from scratch or do I need to buy a separate array controller?

Brgs,

Lukasz
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Lukasz,

If the drives are on different SCSI ID's and you have termination and cabling set up OK then they should be seen using the external port of the 642 controller.

Do the drives spin up when the server is powered on and scanning the Array controller ports, like the other drives do?

This would give you a clue that the controller can "see" them but you can also force the spin-up with a jumper so it might not be relevant.

Check cabling and SCSI ID's on the drives.
Make sure that you have terminated the external SCSI properly.

Regards,

Brian

Vandermiet
Occasional Visitor

Hi Brian,

How can I check the SCSI ID on the drive? Is it set by the jumpers?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes the jumpers determine the SCSI ID unless it's a hotplug drive in which case each backplane slot has a fixed ID so the drive gets its ID when plugged in (only in a hotplug backplane).

See here for drive SCSI ID information.
http://www.obsolyte.com/faq/

Regards,

Brian