ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
5937 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding RAID 1+0 with 2 Disks

Expanding RAID 1+0 with 2 Disks

Hi

I am expanding my array config with 2 extra disks to have more fault tolerance. I'm now at 16% but it has taken more then 15 hours now to reach this stage! Is this normal?

thx for the answer
3 REPLIES 3
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hi
Expansion time depends on several factors:
- capacity of drives
- number of drives
- expansion priority (if you're expanding array during normal work on production server). By default expansion priority is set to LOW, you might want set it to HIGH.

HP says that expansion process needs about 15 minutes per gigabyte.

Hi

thx for the repy.

I'm now at 25% of completion.

The disks are 300GB >
config looks like
2x 300GB in old config
I did put 2 new 300GB disks in the server and this is now expanding.

My thought on this was that when I inserted the 2 extra disks I would have an expasion of 300 GB extra - so the volume would be 600GB in total. But after checking my documents (I'm not that familiar with raid 1+0 configs) I can conclude that this is not the case. Could someone tell me that my disk capacity will still be 300GB or that it will be 600GB. I'm a bit confused.

About the time needed for expansion. When I calculate it with the 15 mins p/gb I come on 75 hours in total. So I need to wait...

Kind regards
Rikke
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

After the expansion process is finished, you will have to extend the logical drive on the expanded array. Since what is logical drive to Array Controller is physical drive to OS, after extending the logical drive your OS should be able to see 300GB of unpartitioned free disk space. Right now you have RAID-1, after the expansion you will have RAID 1+0, although in ORCA or ACU you will see that you have RAID 1+0 even if you have just 2 mirrored drives.