1753973 Members
7622 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding RAID array

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Expanding RAID array

Is it possible to add an addition drive(same size as the others) to the RAID array, and have the size of a logical drive adjusted to reflect the additional space?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

See message under 3200 raid array forum posted by me.

You simply can't do this under Windows 2000 running a Compaq raid card like the 3200, etc. Windows NT you can. Compaq has no fix and says it's Microsoft's problem. They will not provide any support beyond that.

If you're on WIN2K you will have to backup everything and re-install everything from scratch...that is the fix per Compaq! Nice, huh!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Quick note on Darren's response -- on the Shared storage, you cannot expand the array in any OS -- can't do it with the CR3500's
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Could anybody Compaq people reconfirm the djm2 comment ?
------------------------------------------------------
Reply from: djm2 on April 5,2001 9:56am
Quick note on Darren's response -- on the Shared storage, you cannot expand the array in any OS -- can't do it with the CR3500's
------------------------------------------------------
I would like to hear an official note about that...
Thanks in advance...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

It's not based on the Operating System, rather the way the CR3500 works. It was not designed to function that way. The technology works much like that of the Proliant 1000 models. Any change to the array will destroy it. It's not the smart controller technology that we've seen from Compaq in the last three years. The real smarts in the unit are on the back plane and not the controller. I am able to add drives to an array in Novel using a Compaq Utility called CPQONLIN. with the new controllers, but not the CR3500. You will find the same issue with TN/2000. I have found that you are restricted to seven logical drives per array configuration. Any space not allocated during the configuration is lost.