5833 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Expanding Raid 5

tx1131
Occasional Visitor

Expanding Raid 5

Hello,

I have a Proliant DL380G6 and trying to expand my Raid 5 Array because I am running out of space. My utility doesn't show the option to extend however, I only have 'Spare Management' option. I am wondering if this may be because I added the new HDD to port 2 as I already have 4 HDDs in port 1. If this is the case is it possible to build multi-port raid 5 array? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Konrad 

5 REPLIES 5
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

It's not a problem to expand the array with drives attached to the second port. Do You have a battery?

Please keep in mind, that you need to attach a battery module to the controller to activate the expand option.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
rgandme

Hi  I read your reply and wanted to see if you had any info on the following: (SVR warranty has expired)

I have a HP Proliant ML350 (No "G" label on tag It is a Intel Xeon system E5430 Processors. The Svr has 8 drives slotted, 2 are 10K SAS 72GB  drives (434916-01).  Six Drives are dual port 10K SAS 146GB (418399-001) drives.

I have C: & D: configured, was delivered that way. C Drive has 68GB  and D: Drive has 679 GB.

My C:\ drive is at 9GB and D has 154 GB that I can Shrink and I just need 100GB. Turns out that the 154GB can not be attached to the C:|Drive on which I need Space Soon. Onlone Blogs say Shrink then Expand C:, but C: does see the test value I  made Unallcated. Others say GPart can be used but successfully but reference an ISO access method that can be used on Windows. If I can Up the C: drive then I can move up to 64Bit and have access to the 32GB memory Installed.

My Thoughts. Can I shut Server down PULL one of the drives Insert a New 500GB Drive, Restart the Server (Hopefully It Rebuilds the Raid5) and do so until I have replaced ALL 8 drives.???? If I can then I need to find out how to ID the SAS Hard drives I need.

Also Drive ID says they are HP SAS AHrddrives but HP cautions on getting the Right SAS type drive based on EVA Version, which I have no idea on how to determine.

CST 1014AM STexas

mhunter
Frequent Advisor

RAID makes use of the same disk size, so your thought on dropping a 500GB drive is not possible.

It sounds like you might have misconfigured your RAID setup inadequately in the first place, but you might be able to temporarily move files to a spare drive and recreate your RAID array on the larger disks. You might want to consider afterwords to replace the two other drives.

http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt  is a great place to start.

tx1131
Occasional Visitor

Hello, 

Many thanks for the answer.

@PGTRI wrote:

hi,

It's not a problem to expand the array with drives attached to the second port. Do You have a battery?

Please keep in mind, that you need to attach a battery module to the controller to activate the expand option.

Thanks

regards,

Can you just clarify please what this battery module for controller is ? I don't seem to have any additional hardware unfortunately and since I just inherited the the server I am not sure what is inside.. 

Regards,

Konrad 

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please attach an ACU report here and i will tell you, if you have a battery or not. I'll provide you also info about the part that you need to activate the expand option.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!