1753943 Members
8825 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding a volume on a Proliant ML350 G4

Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

Expanding a volume on a Proliant ML350 G4

We are running Windows 2003 SP1 on a Proliant ML350 G4 with a Smart Array 6400 controller with the latest firmware, we want to replace six 72 GB with six 300 GB Hard drives.

Here is what we we plan to do, let me know if this is correct or not:
Step 1 - replace the six hard drives - do this one by one and let the array rebuild itself.
Step 2 - Expand the array within ACU
Step 3 - Format the drive
Step 4 - use diskpart for that windows OS can see the additional hard drive space

Let me know if there is any additional steps I need to take
4 REPLIES 4
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: Expanding a volume on a Proliant ML350 G4

Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>Let me know if there is any additional steps I need to take

After step 2-a (array expand) you need to do step 2-b - array extend (within ACU as well)
Note that step 2-a and step 2-b can take a several hours-days (about 15 min for each 1 Gb of data)

If you plan to use diskpart -- you don't need step 3 (format drive).
Very important note:
you cannot expand system volume (drive C:\) with diskpart. If you want to expand drive D: with diskpart - you are Ok.

See this thread as well
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1027500
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the information.

We only have only drive in the server. it is C: drive. What I am going to do is select no page file and then reboot. At this point I should be able to use diskpart to expand the volume so that the OS can see it. We are currently expanding the volume now via the ACU.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1063468&admit=-682735245+1159895569250+28353475

Go to that thread and look for teh diskpart info, there are some consideration to be taken before doing it..