5255 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding array takes ages

Franc van de Westelaken_1
Frequent Advisor

Expanding array takes ages

Hi,

we have a Proliant ML530G2 with a Smart Array 532 controller with one array which contains 5 36Gb drives. I've added a 6th drive to it and am currently expanding the array. But this takes ages. It's been running for 1 day now and is only at 30% completion. Is this normal that it takes so long ?

Franc.
8 REPLIES 8
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Use ACU then select controller then setting it will tell you what is the rebuild proirty set by us on server. If it is low then it can take time i suppose.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I've already set it to 'high' when I started the expand process. Is it safe to reboot the server during the expand or not ?

Franc.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Q)I've already set it to 'high' when I started the expand process. Is it safe to reboot the server during the expand or not ?

A)It continues where some times it doenot

go through this advisory also. and check are you having same thing at your end.

--------------------------------------

Smart Array Controllers May Experience An Unsuccessful Rebuild Operation Under Certain Conditions

customer advisory EX030314_CW01 revision 1
released January 2004

description

Certain Smart Array Controllers and firmware versions may appear to complete a rebuild operation successfully on a ProLiant server, even though one or more disk blocks may not have been written successfully.

This most commonly occurs when a hard drive with uncorrectable media errors is initially failed (i.e., amber LED on hard drive tray illuminates) by the Smart Array Controller, and is then subsequently removed and reinserted, thereby initiating the rebuild process. The hard drive should again be failed by the Smart Array Controller; however, Smart Array Controllers using certain firmware versions may indicate that the rebuild operation completed successfully even though it did not.

Note: When Microsoft Exchange Server is running on the server, an Application Error 1018 may be generated by the Exchange Server as a result of the disk block(s) not being written successfully during the rebuild operation. However, an Application Error 1018 can be caused by several conditions, including slow transfer rates, slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus, or faulty hardware.

scope

Any ProLiant server configured with any of the following Smart Array Controllers and their respective firmware versions:

Smart Array 5300 Controller with Firmware Version 1.72 through Version 2.32
Smart Array 532, Smart Array 5i and Smart Array 5i Plus Controllers with Firmware Version 1.72 through Version 1.74
Smart Array 431 Controller with Firmware Version 1.18 through Version 1.22
Smart Array 4200 and Smart Array 4250ES Controllers with Firmware Version 1.44

resolution

To prevent an unsuccessful rebuild from occurring, update the Smart Array Controller firmware to the following versions using the appropriate Offline ROM Flash ROM Update Utility:

Smart Array 5300 Controller - Upgrade to Firmware Version 2.86 (or later)
CP003975 - Offline ROM Flash for SmartStart Maintenance: ROM Update Utility - Smart Array 5300 Version 3.40 http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18905.html

Smart Array 532, 5i and 5i Plus Controller - Upgrade to Firmware Version 1.80 (or later)
CP003155 - Offline ROM Flash for SmartStart Maintenance: ROM Update Utility - Smart Array 5i and Smart Array 532 Version 2.38 http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17366.html

Smart Array 431 Controller - Upgrade to Firmware Version 1.24 (or later)
CP002029 - Offline ROM Flash for SmartStart Maintenance: ROM Update Utility - Smart Array 431 Controller Version 1.24 http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/19069.html

Smart Array 4200 and Smart Array 4250ES Controller - Upgrade to Firmware Version 1.46 (or later)
CP004045 - Offline ROM Flash for SmartStart Maintenance: ROM Update Utility - Smart Array 4200 and Smart Array 4250ES Controllers Version 1.46 ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportSoftware/CP004001-004500/CP004045.scexe

To recover from an unsuccessful rebuild, perform the following steps:

Immediately remove the hard drive that was rebuilt.
Upgrade the Smart Array Controller firmware to the appropriate version noted above.
Replace the failed hard drive.

Replace the failed hard drive by using one of the processes detailed below:

Obtaining Service Inside North America

Contact Customer Support at 1-800-652-6672
OR

Contact a local Authorized Service Provider (ASP)
Note : The replacement hard drive is available as a CRU (customer replaceable) part and may be shipped directly to and replaced by the customer. To take advantage of this program, inform the HP Customer Service Representative or the Authorized Service Provider when requesting the replacement hard drive.

Obtaining Service Outside North America

Contact an Authorized Service Provider or the appropriate HP Customer Support Center to obtain the replacement hard drive. A list of Customer Support Centers and appropriate phone numbers is available at the following URL:

http://www.compaq.com/support/contact_compaq/worldphones.pdf

hardware platforms affected:

ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 1850R, ProLiant 2500, ProLiant 3000, ProLiant 400, ProLiant 4500, ProLiant 5000, ProLiant 5500, ProLiant 6000, ProLiant 6400R, ProLiant 6500, ProLiant 7000, ProLiant 800, ProLiant 8000, ProLiant 850, ProLiant 8500, ProLiant BL p-Class (BL20p G2 Server Blade, BL20p Server Blade, BL40p Server Blade), ProLiant CL1850, ProLiant CL380, ProLiant DL320, ProLiant DL320 G2, ProLiant DL360, ProLiant DL360 G2, ProLiant DL360 G3, ProLiant DL380, ProLiant DL380 G2, ProLiant DL380 G2 Packaged Cluster, ProLiant DL380 G3, ProLiant DL380 G3 Packaged Cluster, ProLiant DL560, ProLiant DL580, ProLiant DL580 G2, ProLiant DL740, ProLiant DL760, ProLiant DL760 G2, ProLiant ML310, ProLiant ML330, ProLiant ML330 G2, ProLiant ML330 G3, ProLiant ML330e, ProLiant ML350, ProLiant ML350 G2, ProLiant ML350 G3, ProLiant ML370, ProLiant ML370 G2, ProLiant ML370 G3, ProLiant ML530, ProLiant ML530 G2, ProLiant ML570, ProLiant ML570 G2, ProLiant ML750, Prosignia Server 720, Prosignia Server 740

components affected:

Controller Boards ProLiant Array and SCSI Controllers (Smart Array 4200 Controller, Smart Array 4250ES Controller, Smart Array 431 Controller, Smart Array 5300 Controller, Smart Array 5302 Controller, Smart Array 5304 Controller, Smart Array 5312 Controller, Smart Array 532 Controller, Smart Array 5i Controller)

regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

thanks for the info. The Smart Array controller has the latest firmware so that's not the issue. It's now at 48 percent rebuild after 48 hours.... Thus it will almost take 4 (!!!) days to expand the array....

Franc.
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Franc,
I ran into the same thing and what I ended up doing was letting it rebuild one drive at a time. Of course, I did not have 6 drives, only 3, but it seemed to work for me.
Just my two cents worth!
Good luck,
Kelly
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kelly,

I'm not rebuilding, just expanding the array by plugging in an extra drive. Looks like it would be a lot faster to create an image of the server. Remove and recreate the array and then putting the image back. Then it was done in way less time than the four days it now takes.

Franc.
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

well after four days the expanding finally completed. However, now I have additional space. But I want the additional space being added to the logical drive. So I extend the logical drive. It's been running for a day and it's only at 25%. Thus, in total, adding a 36Gb drive to a 5 disk raid 5 array takes 8 days to complete. Is this really normal ? I don't want to think if I need to add a 72Gb drive to our other server. That will probably take a month or so.

Franc.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

It takes anywhere between 15 - 45 min per GB of the logical drive. Try putting the expand priority to high
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!