ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752653 Members
5647 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding mirrored 36GB drives to 72GB drives in ProLiant DL380 G3 and Win2003 Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sahap Yuzer
Occasional Advisor

Expanding mirrored 36GB drives to 72GB drives in ProLiant DL380 G3 and Win2003 Server

We're running out of disk space in our 32GB mirrored boot drive.
We just bought 2 72GB drives to replace them.

I searched the forum and found one person said take out one 36GB drive when server is online.
Put the 72GB and wait server to recreate the mirrow.
Then take out the other 36GB and put the other 72GB. Wait for the mirror to re-establish.
Then use Diskpart to expand the mirror to 72GB.

Are these instructions correct?

What would be the safest and easiest way to do this with minimum server down time?

Thank you in advance...
6 REPLIES 6
weiyann83
Solution

Re: Expanding mirrored 36GB drives to 72GB drives in ProLiant DL380 G3 and Win2003 Server

Let said your 36GB have 2 partition C: and D: so even you expend 72GB they also same space for the partition C: and D:, that is only can expend your space like creating another partition example e:.

If this is critical server or file server i'm not recommend you doing this way, it will drop the performance, if you are using microsoft dynamic disk it will cause the performance droping.

If that is system must expend the space, recommend you to use partition magic to do the expend partition.

Hope it will help you to solve the problem.

Thanks

STEVEN LEE
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Sahap Yuzer
Occasional Advisor

It has the ACU 7.60 and SmartArray 5i running.
It has a single 36GB 'basic' boot partition.
I know DiskPart does not support expanding boot disks.

I checked out the links you've sent thank you.
Looks like HP does not have any way of extending a RAID0+1 array on a boot partition.
Everyone says we need to buy a third party tools to extend the raid or do a full backup/restore that takes too long and risky for a mission-critical server.

I'm very surprised that HP has no solution to this 'cause sooner or later most servers run out of disk space...
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

See Kris answer here:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1088296

But personally I preffer backup/restore method; and such way you even don't need diskpart...
Sahap Yuzer
Occasional Advisor

I've decided to create a second mirror and move data and log files there. I'm not comfortable using 3rd party software on a production server.

Here's what I'm planning to do, let me know if you see any problems with this:

- shutdown the server
- install 2 new drives to bay 2 and 3
- power on and go to F8 menu
- select Create Logical Drive
- select 2 new drives
- select RAID1 (this is the RAID0+1 right?)
- boot the server
- Create a new drive E: in Windows2003 Disk Manager.

Will this work?
Can I create RAID when the server is running?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Good decision. Moving data to second RAID will improve performance.(and simplify disaster recovery as well)
Your plan is good.
You can do all things when server is running.
Use HP Array configuration utility (part of PSP) to create new Array and when to create RAID-1. And last step is create a new drive E: in Windows 2003 disk manager

P.S. Since you are new on this forum read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#22