1753272 Members
5308 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expanding the array on a DL360

Robert_480
Occasional Contributor

Expanding the array on a DL360

How can I expand the array on a DL360 that is running out of available drive space. Also, which manual is it documented in?
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Please add more details:
OS, DL 360 generation,
current array configuration, current logical disks configuration,...
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Oh, I am missing you have DL360, therefore we can assume you have two disks defined as RAID-1.
You can use two methods to increase available disk space:
1) Do server backup (with your backup software or with GHOST software).
Replace disks.
Do server restore.
2) Replace first disk with a bigger one and wait for the rebuild to complete. Repeat that for the second disk.
At the end of the rebuild you will have free space at the end of the disk array.
Now you can use diskpart utility to extend data volume
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590
Note: Most likely you will not be able to use diskpart if you have only one logical disk (C:\) (usualy diskpart cannot extend system volume).
Only option in this case is to create new logical drive on unused space (you can do it in Array configuration utility) or use method 1.
Before you start:
-Update your server using Firmware Maintenance CD
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html
-Make sure you have good backup

See also ACU user guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would agree with Igor, but am unsure why you would do the backup and restore. I would definitely recommend backing up before the procedure, but it shouldn't be necessary to restore.

Replace the first drive with the larger one, wait for rebuild to complete, then replace second drive, also waiting for rebuild to complete. Select to extend logical drive and it will place the new space at the end of the existing volume with Windows, showing up as unpartitioned space.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Terry, I write about restore only in the fisrt method, i.e.: backup ->replace both disks together -> restore.
In "replace one by one" method restore should not be necessary (I hope).
Ron Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

When we replaced the 18 GB disks in our Exchange 2000 DL360 one-by-one with 72 GB disks, the array was rebuilt as an 18 GB image. So, in the array manager we can expand the array to use the additional space? Is this destructive in terms of the data already on the drive? Will a restore then be necessary?
should work...
Attila Szab├│
Frequent Advisor

Ron, to expand the Array (and Logical drive) in Array config utility (ACU) is generally not destructive, but in case of failures, before try to expand, do a FULL BACKUP, it mandatory.
If want to be sure, everything is ok, make a rescan hard drive in computer management/disk management. The disk need to be bigger and spanes need to be apear at the end of the disk)
After you expand the logical drive, you can use diskpart to expand the partition (you can expand only the last partition on the disk, if have more than one).
i hope it help...