108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expaning RAID 5 array on a DL380

SOLVED
Go to solution
DanElmbrook
Advisor

Expaning RAID 5 array on a DL380

I have a Compaq/HP DL2 380. I need to add another drive and expand the RAID Array to gain additional space.

First is this possible without compromising the data?
Secondly how does one go about doing this?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Dan:

Yes, it is quite easy to expand the array. SImply install the new drive, run the ACU... add the drive to the array. Once the array is finished expanding, you will have the additional space to either create a new logical drive or extend your existing logical drives.

Extending the logical drives can be a bit more intense so let me ask a few questions...

What OS are you running?

If Windows, do you have 1 logical drive currently? Or do you have more than 1?

Do you need to extend your "system" drive... or your "C:" drive?

Keep in mind that if you expand your array with a larger disk than you already have (assume you have 2 36GB drives and you expand with 1 146GB drive...) then you will only be able to utilize the smaller amount of hard drive space, equal to the smaller drive (in my example... you could only use 36GB of the 146GB drive.)

In order to gain the FULL amount of a larger drive, you would have to replace ALL the drives. This might be an option to look at. What size drives do you currently have and in what config?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
DanElmbrook
Advisor

This is for a NetWarer 5.1sp7 server. It currently have 4 drives configured RAID 5 with 1 logical drive and 2 volumes. I want to add space to one of the volumes so I don't know if I care about expanding the logical drive just as long as it displays the free space to add to the volume.

Please tell me what is the best way to proceed. I also read something about the controller battery had to be charged or something like that. Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks.
DanElmbrook
Advisor

Oh yes also.

How long would you expect this expansion to take?
What will be the hit to performance?
What are the risks, if any?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

How big are the drives?

I am not sure about the specifics when it comes to netware. I dropped my netware hat just before 4.1 and haven't touched it since (for the most part).

Expansion can take a while if there is alot of data to move around. Since your adding a drive, the array needs to re-level all the data, splitting it properly across ALL the drives.

Best if done during off hours and best if you set the expand priority to "high" during the process. Shorter impact on performance, though maybe be greater impact. Settable in the ACU.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
DanElmbrook
Advisor

36.4 GB total of about 80gb of data is in use.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I have seen the process take days to complete.

I believe the "ideal" numbers are 15 minutes per GB. That puts you at about 20 hours.

ALot depends on activity and priority setting though. It usually doesn't take that long, but just be aware that it can.

Once it is complete, you can exTEND a logical drive. From there, I am not sure how netware will see it, but you know more than me at that point.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
DanElmbrook
Advisor

So stick in the new drive. Launch the RAID Utility. Once complete select the new drive and Expand the array. From the available free space create a logical drive, partition the new drive and expand the volume using the free space.

How does that sound?

Again Any concerns about data integrity?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Insert drive
Run ACU
Select Array
Select Expand
Select new drive to expand to
After completion, yes, you can create a new logical drive
from here... it's all you. I assume that you can "span" volumes sort of like in Windows.

"Again Any concerns about data integrity?
"
I would definitly have a full system backup, but generally the concern is non-existant.

Stveen
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
DanElmbrook
Advisor

Thanks Steven. What about confirming the battery is charged? The documentation I read makes reference to ensuring the battery is fully charged.