5829 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Network Controller on Motherboard

John Appleyard
Occasional Advisor

Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Network Controller on Motherboard

Hi

We have a brand new ML150 G3 with a single hot swap SATA disk. We don't want RAID at present, but it seems we have to enable it in the BIOS to install Windows. However if it's enabled we get the following message during boot:

Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Network Controller on Motherboard Bus 07,Device 01,Function 00

Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

If you don't need RAID, then in the BIOS
click the Advanced menu tab.
* Select the Advanced Chipset Control field.
* Select the SATA Controller Mode Option field, then press the plus (+) or minus (-) key to set the field value to
Enhanced.
* Select the SATA RAID Enable field, then press the plus (+) or minus (-) key to set the field value to DISABLED.

This should get you going !!

Regards,
James.
John Appleyard
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help..

That's how it was set originally, and the Windows installer could not detect a hard disk - even with the drivers downloaded from HP and burned on to an install disk using nLite (several hours spent on that!)

When I enabled the RAID option, the installation worked, but I got the "Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Network Controller.." message .

If I turn it off again, and reboot, I see "Error loading operating system"
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

1) If the RAID is set to Disabled, then You dont need the nLITE customized CD or the RAID Drivers... NO F6. The Installation should be as simple as installing on a Desktop PC.

2) You enabled the RAID, installed OS with RAID drivers. NOW, if you Turn off the SATA RAID, You will Get the Error.

Also, Check if the AHCI is also set to disabled.(when applying point # 1,)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00849194

* Since you installed OS with RAID enabled + provided RAID Drivers; I would Suggest a Re-install(if Feasible)

Regards,
James.
John Appleyard
Occasional Advisor

Hi again

I must have tried that a dozen times with different Windows XP and XP64 CDs. Every time, it came back saying that there were no hard disks. I only resorted to downloaded drivers and enabling RAID when there seemed no other way forward. I didn't disable AHCI - is that critical?

Does the RAID controller not work? Why do I get the message?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

I didn't realize until your last post that You are installing XP & XP64-bit !

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/6265.html?submit.y=0&submit.x=0тМй=en&cc=uk

This server Doesn't Support XP.

It can be installed.... AS I mentioned earlier, without RAID, as in a Desktop PC.

Regards,
James.
John Appleyard
Occasional Advisor

Hi again

I hadn't realised that XP was not supported. That's a bit of a problem. Actually I do now have both XP and XP/64 installed - but was only able to make progress with the RAID controller enabled. I previously installed CENTOS 5 with no problems.

But the point is that the error message which is the title of this thread occurs when I enable RAID, but before the O/S is booted. Even suppose I skip XP, is my RAID controller functional?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Yes John,

The RAID controller Will be FULLY FUNCTIONAL, If you provide the Correct Drivers.

Without the Drivers, we can expect many errors.

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Forgot to add:

Once the RAID is enabled, it will look for its drivers.

1) POWER
2) Controller Initializes
3) sees "Raid enabled"
4) looks for drivers
5) no appropriate drivers..

6) ERROR.

Ideally it should be:
1) POWER
2) Controller Initializes
3) sees "Raid enabled"
4) looks for drivers
5) Driver Found
6) Loading OS !!!

Regards,
James.
John Appleyard
Occasional Advisor

Well thanks for your patience - but things have moved on. The machine now freezes just after I first switch it on - on the HP splash screen. If I wait a few minutes and press escape, the boot screen shows that it's found the CPUs and memory - but then nothing. Tried several power cycles, but nothing changes.

I think it's going to have to go back.