cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expansion ports not working

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Expansion ports not working

I am trying to add a video card to my Proliant 1850R. The problem is that before it even loads the OS, it doesn't seem to accept the signal from the card. (Yes - I employed the disable onboard video switch). It really seems to me that the Riser or the expansion slots are not active. Is this possible, and if so, how do I fix it?
The server did not come with any of the configuration diskettes, but once I downloaded the configuration utility, turning on an kind of riser, or PCI slots did not appear to be an option.

In a possibly unrelated issue - once Windows 2000 is running, it has a hardware error with the PCI - USB interface (what ever that is).

Obviously I am not a computer genius so please explain what I am doing wrong in small easy to understand terms.

Thanks to whomever can figure this out.

Murray
3 REPLIES
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Expansion ports not working

Hello Murray,
Before you install the Video Card please update the system bios of the server. Since you have already tried to install the video card yourself and it did not work. Please pull it out of the server. Clear NVRAM and reconfigure the hardware after you re-enable the onboard video. Did you try installing it in a different slot?? Please call our Technical Support at 1-800-OK-COMPAQ for further assistance.

Regards,
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I believe that I haveupdated the bios, I used:

Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for Compaq ProLiant 1850R/CL1850 (P07), 800 (P14), 3000 (P09), and 5500 (P12) Servers
Version 4.15 A (9 Apr 02)

However it still seems that the riser board does not work. In my device manager it says Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller has a problem.
I was not even sure that this is a PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.

With the BIOS up dated, what else should I be looking at? I feel that somehow the Riser board is disabled. Is this possible, and if so, what would I need to enable it?

Murray
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Murray,
I would suggest you reseat the riser Board. If still a problem then please contact our Tech Support at 1-800-OK-COMPAQ.

Regards,