108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Explain ML110 Embedded IPMI standard reporting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Explain ML110 Embedded IPMI standard reporting

I'm used to using the iLO on ProLiant servers. We need a very small network server and thinking about the ML110 G4.

Included is only the "Embedded IPMI standard reporting" for remote hardware management. Can anyone tell us if it's useful and what features it includes?

Is it enough for basic troubleshooting (remotely reboot/shutdown even if OS is down, Remote Control etc?) or should we better go to add an additional iLO card?

Also, when buying the iLO card - is this including an Advanced or do we need to buy an Advanced Pack for that aswell to get additional features?
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Explain ML110 Embedded IPMI standard reporting

take a look of this comparison
IPMI vs Ilo
http://www.hollenback.net/index.php/iLoIpmiComparison

ipmi features
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/index.htm

yes you need to buy a license if you wanna user remote console and virtual media (CD - Floppoy) on ilo

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

Excellent reading!

So IPMI is basically a SSH interface where you can shutdown and restart the machine and not much of remote console and troubleshooting.

I guess I better go with iLO then. We will need to manage it from a far distance so we can't travel to the location if the server goes down and won't come up after a reboot. We need to troubleshoot "on the screen" if that happends.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

you're right ilo2 it's already including IPMI which means It has the best from both

and remote console is great I use it a lot

if this was helpful please assing some points

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!