cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend / Expand the size of a logical drive using unassigned, unused drive

yurisend
Occasional Visitor

Extend / Expand the size of a logical drive using unassigned, unused drive

I currently have one SAS array configured on an ML370G6, with two seperate logical drives: one acting as a local drive C and the other acting as a networked drive (D). Currently the space allocated to C is 50GB, and the space allocated to D is roughy 780GB. I have less than 10% space on the C drive, and I need to increase its size. The array is configured in RAID 5 currently. I installed a new blank drive, and I want to use this drive to expand the logical volume C. So far I cannot find an easy wasy to JUST expand C, and not allocating this unused drive to expand the entire array evenly. Is this possible? Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic. 

There may even be a way to increase to size of the logical drive C by allocating less space for D, and more for C, without having to install yet another (5th drive).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-yurisend

1 REPLY
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Extend / Expand the size of a logical drive using unassigned, unused drive

That sounds like your "drive C" and "drive D" are actually partitions on a single logical disk of the RAID array. In that case, the problem is identical to having two partitions on a single disk of about 830 GB size in a non-RAID system. Expanding the logical disk will just add new space to the end of the logical disk... which is occupied by the partition D, allowing only partition D to expand.

It ought to be be solvable by using the appropriate partition management tools: I'm not a Windows sysadmin, but I've heard that recent server versions of Windows can resize partitions using the standard Disk Management tool, no extra software required. If that is not possible, software like Partition Magic might be helpful.

You would need to move the partition D towards the end of the logical disk, possibly shrinking it before or during the move. Then you would have some empty space between partitions C and D, which you could use to expand partition C.

MK