6040 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Extend RAID 5 Array + How to increase unallocated disk space in O/S

Z3roCool123007
Occasional Contributor

Extend RAID 5 Array + How to increase unallocated disk space in O/S

Hi All,

I have got a Proliant server running Windows Server 2008 R2.

I currently have 2 Arrays (Mirror - O/S + RAID5 - Data)

I am looking at adding an extra (Same) disk to the 3 disks in RAID5 and then Expanding the Array and then Extending the Logical Drive.

I am at the stage that the disk is in and showing un-allocated and I have the Extend option. I will kick this off over a weekend when there is lower disk rights going on and away from backups (Will make sure I have good backup).

My query is how do I then use the un-allocated space within the O/S. I am sure I will see (in disk manager) the un-allocated space once the Array part is complete but have read different ways of using this, not all of it adds up though so a bit dubious.

Some say you have to clear the data some say just use Partition Magic to increase the space (Does free version allow this).

Any info on this part would be much appreciated, spent some time trying to find good details on this part.

Thanks,

Tom.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Consider to extend the RAID to the new disks, then extend the logical drive and finally use windows disk management to increase the file system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Z3roCool123007
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Will Server 2008 R2 allow me to do that within Disk Management? I read in some places that this was not possible without 3rd party tools.

Thanks,

Tom.