7497 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extend Volume on Disk through ACU - Windows cannot see Extension

rob wilson_3

Extend Volume on Disk through ACU - Windows cannot see Extension

Folks,

Can you help.

I have an ML350 G3 with an array 532 card, I have install an additional disk in a 3 x 36GB disk RAID 5 array, to bring it up to 4 x 36GB disks.

I used the ACU wizard to add the disk to the RAID 5 array. Once it had finish the buildin of the new RAID 5 configuration. I then extend the original volume on the array from appro 70 gb to 93gb, I want to create an extra volume for swap space with the remaining RAID 5 space unallocated.

I again used the ACU wizard to extend the volume.

I am using windows 2000, with basic disk, has I know the dynamic disk in Windows 2000 can caused problems with hardware RAID.

After doing the above Windows 2000 Server does not see the additional disk space given to it. Have I done something wrong or missing a step?

I looked a the properties of the disk in Windows 2000 Disk Manager, and it says, total disk size 94988MB, with 69447MB allocated and 25540MB unallocated. How do I format/extend the volume? I would have expected the RAID card to do this.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob
8 REPLIES 8
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Re: Extend Volume on Disk through ACU - Windows cannot see Extension

Hello ROB

In the Disk Manager, Right click on the unallocated space and create the logicle drive

Regards
Rob
rob wilson_3

Rob

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, they are basic disk in WIndows 2000, not Dynamic, I can create a partition, but not extend a current partition.

Its a Citrix Server with a M:\ drive so would like to extend this partition.

Not quite sure what HP thinks of Dynamic Windows Disks, but I am reluctant to change the M:\ drive to a Dynamic disk because it is the system disk (boot partition), and I cannot change it back to a Basic Disk at a later date, just in case I need to extend the RAID again.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

Rob
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Rob:

There is a utility called diskpart.exe. See here for additional info...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590

The only issue you might run into is that it will not extend your System drive. If the drive you want to extend is NOT your C: drive, the diskpart should work fine.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
rob wilson_3

Steven

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately having look ed at the instructions for the command. I cannot use it has the original volume was created on a Basic disk.

Thanks.

Rob
ps Sometimes I wish I still used UNIX!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Diskpart works with basic disks.

I think, after re-reading everything... your only issue is that you claim that your M: drive is a System drive. Is this the case? Does your server boot from your M: drive?

If not, diskpart should work as long as the available space is contiguous.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
rob wilson_3

Steven

Yeah my M:\ is the system partition, so It has the boot info on it. Windows gives you lots of warning regarding changing a system disk to dynamic!

The server is a live Citrix server, so I cannot take any type of Risk with it! I'll get fired! ;-)

I am a bit disappointed regarding the support from HP and M$ for array controller. You'd think that between them they could find a solution to extend a partition!

Thanks again,

Rob
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

diskpart is one solution, it just does not work on a system/boot drive. Why? no idea. I think it actually takes the drive offline momentarily and in running system, that would be catastrophic. (at least in windows).

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

It wouldn't hurt to try it either. If the system can't do it, it would just error out.

"Only the extension of data volumes are supported. System or boot volumes may be blocked from being extended, and you may receive the following error:
Diskpart failed to extend the volume. Please make sure the volume is valid for extending"

I have done this without any issues to the server. It just errored out. Your call though, I probably wouldn't try it if the machine is a standalone with no backup and IN production.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE