ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748246 Members
3030 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extend logical drive on Windows 2000 cluster

John Mcguigan

Extend logical drive on Windows 2000 cluster

I know this will probably have been covered numerous times before but I can't see a definitive yes or no answer to the question.

I have an existing 250gb array/logical drive attached to one of my virtual servers in a Microsoft Windows 2000 cluster setup. I added 2 more drives to the array and expanded it, I now want to allocate that space to the existing logical drive.

a) Is this possible at all
b) Is this possible without destroying my existing data
c) what, if anything do I need to do beyond clicking Save on the extend screen.

John
3 REPLIES 3
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

It is not possible without destroying data. You can extend drive (LUN) on hardware level and expand logical drive (virtual disk) on the hardware level, but it is not possible to expand volume from windows.
You have to create new logica disk / LUN from hardware and present it to OS as new, independent device.
It is strongly not recommended to use dynamic this in SAN (you can lose your disk forever with notice, that it is "foreign").
regards,
Andrzej
otto warlich
Regular Advisor

Hello John,

Use diskpart from the resource kit.
This can do it online.
If your not sure, make a backup.
Try the utility on a XP station if you want, same results

With regards,

Otto
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

yes, I forgot about diskpart. It can do it for you, but you have to remember: you have to new free space directly after your current partition; to do this you must first uncluster your disk(s)and after diskpart add it to the cluster again,
regards,
Andrzej