1748002 Members
4561 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extend partition

Barry bernstein
Occasional Contributor

Extend partition

I have just replaced 6 18.3gb drives with 72gb drives in a dual raid 5 setup. I am running W2K on this server with a 5300 Smart arrary controller. The acu says I cannot extend the partions due to the NOS. Any ideas on how to get this done without creating another logical drive?
6 REPLIES 6
john_347
Regular Advisor

Barry,

Let me get this right. You've replaced the drives with 72's and expanded the array ??. If you've do so then when you look in W2k you should see the main partitions and the spare space. Now if the disks are set to Dynamic then you can expand the partition on the fly. You cannot expand the os partition. If your still using basic disks, then you use Diskpart (from MS). This can only expand the partition next to the spare space.

As with all these things BACKUP the box before you start...

regards

john
Barry bernstein
Occasional Contributor

John,

I have not expanded the array, thats the prob. The array cannot be expanded useing the array utility in W2K. I have found out since that I should use diskpart, but the raid in split into 2 logical drives which I need to add space to both. I most likely will copy the data off to another drive, break the array of the 2 logicals and reconfigure into one large logical. Does this make sense or is there a better way.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You can expand the array in Windows 2000. What version of the ACU are you using? I would recommend making sure you meet all the software requirements at the following url:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM000915_CW01

I would recommend following these recommendations whether you have dynamic disks or not.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Barry let me make sure I have this correct here.

You have Array A with 3 - 72GB drives (R5) that is say drive C:\

and

You have Array B with 3 - 72GB drives (R5) that is say drive D:\

You then try to run ACU and extend either logical volume and you get a very scary warning message about not extending arrays as it may not be supported, correct?

If so what Service Pack are you running and are you using basic or dynamic disk?

If you are SP3 or later you are fine. Or if you have basic disks you are also ok. See attachment for the error I think you might be having.

Also, here is an old thread that I posted a while back wiht more detail.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=503194
Barry bernstein
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

Not quite.

Originally there were 6 18gb drives on the b side of the array. The A side has 2 18gb's in a raid 1+0 that will remain intact. On The B side I removed and replaced 1 by 1 each 18 and replaced it with a 72. Now I have 6 72gb drives. The original config had the 18's but configured into 2 separate logical drives. My goal was to extend one or both logicals, yet the ACU said NO, this can't be done via this util. I am running service pack 4 and and a Ver 2.9 of the ACU .

See if this info helps at all.
Thanx in advance
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Barry It sounds like you are running into a limitation of your very old ACU revision. I would upgrade to PSP 7.3 which should put your ACU to 7.31.1 and I would upgrade the firmware on your Smart Array as well.

Then try to run the extend process again.