cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Partition after replacing drives

Agedmcse
Occasional Advisor

Extending Partition after replacing drives

We have a Proliant DL360 G5 which previously contained mirrored 72GB drives. The mirror was broken a drive replaced with 146GB remirrored then the same process repeated for the second replacement drive of the same size. ACU v7.5 shows the enlarged drives in physical view and in logical view the single array array shows a Logical Drive of the original mirrored set 70GB approx. and Unused Space of 140GB approx. Since only drive space and not additional drives have been added the facility to expand the array is not provided within ACU. If I simply try to use Diskpart - Extend within windows it fails with the error "The volume you have selected may not be extended"
I get the feeling I am falling between 2 stools with this one so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES
gregersenj
HPE Pro

Re: Extending Partition after replacing drives

You must extend the logical drive, using the ACU, first.

Smart Array Termology:
Expand = add more physical disks to array.
Extend = make logical drive larger.

untill you have extended the logical drive, or createt an new logical drive, you will not see more disk capacety on your OS.

BR
/jag

Agedmcse
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately the option to extend the array is not available in the list of wizards.I have: "Controller Settings","Create a logical drive","Delete logical drives",""Clear Configuration" & "Delete Arrays" Bearing in mind this is a live production server I am reluctant to experiment with the last 2 options
Agedmcse
Occasional Advisor

I intend to install write cache component and launch ACU offline from Smartstart. Clutching at straws at the moment
gregersenj
HPE Pro

Yes Clear configuration, and delete arrays, does exactly that.

BR
/jag