ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753536 Members
5486 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extending an array on a DL380 (Dual 733)

Ted Kim
Occasional Contributor

Extending an array on a DL380 (Dual 733)

I am using the Integrated Smart Array controller. I have a 18.2GB System Drive in Bay 0. I had created a RAID5 array using Bays 2-5, using 72,8GB Drives. I have now added a fifth 72.8GB Drive to the array, and wish to expand the array. ACU tells me that this is data destructive and not recommended under Windows 2000 Server.

Does anyone have a fix? Is the error a bug and I should not worry about it?
7 REPLIES 7
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I take it you're running Windows 2000? This NOT a bug. It definitely "may" be data destructive, especially if you're using dynamic disks. I'd recommend taking a look at this advisory:
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=29&source=EM000915_CW01.xml&dt=3&docid=2996
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Ted Kim
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Terry, but I have seen the same advisory, that you referred to, but I do not see the Integrated SMART Array Controller listed, unless it uses a different part number now. Do you have any insight to this issue?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would interpret this as meaning, extending the logical drive is only supported under the circumstances listed in the advisory and in no other way.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

You will not be able to extend the partition using the Integrated Smart Controller, as there is no write cache built into the adapter. This will be a destructive event, and will have several hours to complete. Your best bet will be to back up the data (test a small restore to a different directory or drive), delete the array, and rebuild the array with the new disk included. Final step is to restore the data from tape (or whatever backup media you used).

If you were using a 4200 or 5300 series controller, it would be possible to extend the logical drive, but would still take several hours to complete.

Hope this helps.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This controller is capable of expanding the array and extending the logical drive. I'd look at the Quickspecs for this array for more info:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10501_na/10501_na.HTML

The array has to have been created on this controller for any of these features to work though. This OS is the limiting factor here.
Ted Kim
Occasional Contributor

I have actually gotten a reply from Compaq Tech support telling me what I needed. The Integrated Smart Array Controller is capable of exetending the array, and it is possible. The missing pieces are making sure that the machine has the latest ROMPaq's, Option ROMPaqs, and the latest version of ACU XE.

The old windows version is the stumbling block.

Ted Kim
Ted Kim
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your help.