ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754018 Members
7718 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: External Array on Proliant 3000...Remove internal connector?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

External Array on Proliant 3000...Remove internal connector?

With my external array connected to my SA3200, the system states I cannot have internal AND external drives connected. Mentions something about "signal integrity" will increase if I remove internal connectors...I don't remember the exact wording.

I moved all drives to the external array (since there are more slots) and reformatted, but the system is still flagging the issue upon bootup.

- Do I have to remove the internal SCSI cables from the card or do I remove something else?
- Looks like I will need another SmartArray 3200 card to drive the internal drives at the same time. Is this correct?
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Some controllers have internal and External ports, if you use Internal Channel 1 (PORT A) you can't use at same time same channel externally
Either Channel a for Internal and channel B for External or vise versa
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

You CAN connect internal and external drives to SA3200. But you CANNOT connect internal and external drives to the same channel.
If you need to connect internal drives and in the same time external drives to 2 channels, you need another smart array controller.
regards,
Andrzej
Eric Hunt_1
Advisor

I figured I could not do what you have said, but my tests saya otherwise...

My SA3200 has 2 external channels and 2 internal channels. I tried attaching the external array with internal drives attached to channel 1 and then channel 2. I also removed ALL drives from internal channels. I even went as far as removing the cabling from the drive cage (cables are still connected on the SA3200 end). In all instances, the bootup error appears.

So if what you're saying is true, what I have done should avoid this error, but the error still appears.

Is there some sort of "reset" I need to do to the card so that it recognizes that there are not internal drives and/or no internal drives on the same channel?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Clear NVRAM from system Maintenance switch box (#6)
After you need SCU SP19619 to restore access to O/S
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

This controller normally ships with two different daughter boards (see attachment). The reason you're seeing this error is because you have the two port daughter board installed. If you have the single port board installed, then install this one. If that board isn't available and if you're not using the internal connectors at all, then go ahead and remove the daughter board altogether.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..