ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751974 Members
5126 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: External DVD ROM on Proliant DL 380 g4

RPatel

External DVD ROM on Proliant DL 380 g4

I want to install windows servver 2008 R2 on proliant dl380 g4. I tried connecting an external DVD ROM, changed the boot order in the BIOS, but the server does not seem to recognise the DVD drive. I tried using a USB thumb drive as well, again changed the boot order in BIOS but still the server wont boot through the USB thumb drive.

The BIOS for the server has been updated to the latest available.

Have tried on a different proliant server, different USB ports on the server as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

Rahul
8 REPLIES 8
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

Do you have ILO set up? You can boot using "virtual media" on another server.
Phil
RPatel

We have iLo setup, however, the advanced pack license is not in place, so I think I might not be able to use the vmedia. Am i right?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Are you sure that the DVD drive support Boot?

The Proliant for sure can boot from a USB device.

Below I have cut and paste some notes, that have have made for soling USB boot tricks on a Proliant, generatet from my own experience. Maybe ther could be a solution for you.:

How to boot from USB on a Proliant.

If a Proliant can├в t boot from a USB memory stick.

Check the following:

Check the Memory stick, can it boot from another machine.
When the Memory Stick is known good.

In the RBSU check: (Press F9)
Check the Boot order
The USB memory stick must be listet before the RAID controller, as a USB FDD A: or a USB HDD c:

If that is ok, and the server still wont boot from the USB
Check the USB setting
Select System
Select USB Control (Note there might be a USB 2.0 also, choose the first)
Set USB to enabled.
Esc
Esc
F10

Or If you got a Server with no Smart Array. But got ei. 2 HDD├в s on a SCSI controller or similar
Then you must check the HDD order.
You Memroy stick may be listet as the last disk.
Move it up as the first disk.

Note in most cases a Proliant should be capable to boot from a USB Memory, when the BIOS is set for default.

Accept or Kudo

RPatel

I have found that HP Proliant DL 380 G4 series server is not on the list of supported hardware for Windows server 2008.

Seems to be true....
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

HP got win2008 Drivers for DL380 G4.
I would guess that R2 also should run on the G4.

Accept or Kudo

RPatel

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

from HP
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/us/en/servers/ws-servers-2008-r2.html

Certified : The server supported takes advantage of all features of Windows Server 2008 R2 and listed in the Windows Server Catalog.
Supported : The server is tested and compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 but does not take full advantage of all its new features.
Pending : The server is tested and compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 but Logo Certification is pending.
Power Qualifier : Additional Qualification logo for ├в Enhanced Power Management

This doesn't mean it doesn't work.
If you can find a useble driver for the RAID controller, then it I would expect it to be able to install.
I might be wrong.

Accept or Kudo

JamesTek
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a question about the HP DL380 G7 i bought a re furbed unit of Ebay tested and all seems fine, but has no CD drive, from what i can see there is no back plate eaither to sit a cd drive into if i had a cd drive for it can these be bought ? and the cable for it ? or can i simply attached a USB cd drive and boot from that ?