1752817 Members
4471 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: FAILED RAID5 HOTSPARE

Tommy37
Occasional Visitor

FAILED RAID5 HOTSPARE

Hi can some one please help me on this as i am not experienced in this raid functions

One of the hard disk in my hp proliant dl390 gen9 server was started showing predicted to fail soon in raid 5. I have an extra unassigned hard disk on the slot and i made it as a hotspare. After that this hotspare started rebuidling and replaced this failed hard disk. Now this failed hardi disk is started showing as hotspare with the same warning message as predicted fail soon. My question is can i simply remove this damaged hotspare from the slot or do i need to do something to remove it? appreciate your help on this.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
support_s
System Recommended

Query: FAILED RAID5 HOTSPARE

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant Gen8,Gen9,Gen10 Servers - Hard Disk Drive Issues

2. Title: HP Smart Array Controllers/HP ProLiant Servers - How to Replace a Faulty Hot-Plug or Non Hot-Plug Hard Disk Drive in a RAID Configuration

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello, 

A disk that is predicted to fail will eventually fail soon. It is recommended that you have backup of data before you perform any activity to alter the storage hardware.

You may lauch the HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) program from the start menu, if it is installed and view what hard drives form part of the array for a confirmation and then proceed to remove the hard drive from the server.

If it is not installed you may restart the server, launch Intelligent at the POST prompt by pressing F10 and access HPE SSA. From there you may be able to determine which disks are part of the array and then remove the disk in question.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Tommy37
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply... but here in my case, data on the damaged hard drive were moved to the newly placed hostspare and the status were swaped, ie hotspare become primary disk and the damaged disk become hotspare. Hence in this case can i directly remove this damaged hotspare from the bay directly or do i need to do something before that ?

Appreciate your suppport !

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hi Tommy,

If the rebuild is 100% Completed.
then it is safe to remove the Original faulty/predictive failure HDD.

Regards
HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Tommy37
Occasional Visitor

@Sham82 

can i remove it even when the server is running?? sorry to ask you this silly question, i am fresher in server knowledge.

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hi Tommy, 

In HPE Gen 8 onwards the HDD's are hot swapable.

the purple color eject button indicates the HDD is Hot plug/swapable.

Regards

HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo