Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI: ProLiant ML530 Gen1 and Windows Vista

bgawert
Frequent Advisor

FYI: ProLiant ML530 Gen1 and Windows Vista

Maybe it's interesting for someone, who knows:

I had some spare time so I did the ridiculous and tested Windows Vista Business on an old ProLiant ML530 Generation 1 server (2x XEON 1GHz, 2.5GB RAM, Smart Array 6402 w. 576MB Cache, 6x HP 300GB 15k U320 disks in RAID0 config, DVD-ROM). The disk array was clean and contained no data (or any partitions). I just booted from the install DVD and set up the whole array (1.8TB) as a single partition. Installation went fine and was quite fast, Vista recognized all the hardware and after finishing worked flawlessly. The only drawback was the gfx part since Vista doesn't support the on-Board ATI RAGE IIc gfx controller. I installed the W2k driver from the HP site and ended up with full accelerated gfx. Compaq did a *very* good job with the BIOS ACPI table, otherwise Vista couldn't have been installed (most desktop computers from that aera can't install Vista because the BIOS lacks the necessary ACPI support).

Performance was quite good which probably was due to the amount of RAM (2.5GB) and the whooping fast disk subsystem (ATTO disk benchmark reported over 300GB/s). Tried IE7, Firefox, Office 2007, OpenOffice 2.2, Nero 7.8.5.0 and some other applications, they all were useable very good. If this thing wouldn't be that loud it would still make a nice huge desktop system, just pop in a faster gfx card and here you go ;-)

So if you're thinking about converting your old outdated P3 XEON server into a Vista workstation just give it a try ;-)

Benjamin
3 REPLIES
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

Re: FYI: ProLiant ML530 Gen1 and Windows Vista

As we have some servers that are scheduled for replacement, this could be very interesting, Thanks for the tip...

Regards,

Louis
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Excellent thread!!! I wish I could use it for gaming... it would be just great... as you mentioned a nice Video Card would be needed. But the performance would be just great.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
bgawert
Frequent Advisor

I really doubt such machines can be used for gaming. These are XEONs but these XEONs are still nothing more than a Pentium3 with more/faster cache (if at all, the XEON 1GHz in my ML530 is not better than a P3 1GHz), and the bus system and RAM is also just slow compared to modern computers. Besides that PCI is also a heavy bottleneck for gaming (and the 64bit PCI slots are also not fast enough and there also are no 64bit PCI gfx cards except a dog-slow Matrox card). So no, gaming is probably nothing such systems can be used. But for other tasks that don't require much 3D or CPU performance these beasts still can be of use.

Benjamin