1753444 Members
4990 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failed Array on Embedded Smart Array 5i

Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

Failed Array on Embedded Smart Array 5i

I have a bit of a problem here that I can't figure out.

I have a DL380 G3 with a failed array on my embedded 5i controller. It's telling me a raid group that has a disk in Slot 2 ID 15 has failed. But there is no disk with an ID 15 in the machine and there never was.

Anyone come across this problem and know how to fix?

Thanks...
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Did you insert a disk that was used elsewhere and has raid information on it? This might cause something liek what you are getting. It does not matter if you inserted it in slot 2 or if it is id 15 or not.
Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

Nope the machine was running static for over a year. Until the other day it went down and we are currently unable to recover it.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's a known issue. There are many similar threads found in this forum (search phantom scsi id, wrong scsi id, etc...). Usually it can be prevented by having current system, SCSI backplane, controller and disk firmware, os drivers and ACU. Depending upon the specific server or drive enclosure it could be due to a defective drive backplane and the hardware needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately no apparent easy online fix unless you can physically force the slot 2 drive to ID 15. The container meta-data now "thinks" it needs an ID 15 at slot 2. Some members have found you can get lucky and a controller firmware update will fix it without having to recreate/restore the array.

See this thread for some solution ideas from Karlo that usually work for these situations:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1269536667656+28353475&threadId=1232780

Make sure your system is completely up to date will all firmware (not just the smart array components), O/S drivers and ACU to reduce the chance of future occurrences.

Rgds,