6709 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Failed ML370 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
R Washington

Failed ML370 G3

Server will not start. Fans start then shuts down after a split second (All fans have green lights ). No health LED on near power switch.

Have replaced the power supply and motherboard and power backplane but same. Have pulled memory and CPU's and reseat...still no start.

I get no beeps at all. Any ideas? Cables or motherboard DOA?
7 REPLIES 7
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Failed ML370 G3

Hi there,

looks like power sub-system failure...

check power supply, cable, power switch and power backplane first....

login to ILO to see if any error messages in IML or ILO temperature threshold.

bring the server to base/minimum configuration

if does not help could be faulty psu or backplane.
thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Vaibhav Gandhi
Frequent Advisor

Hi R Washington!
On this server do you have single Power Supply or Dual?
Do you have another ML370 G3? where you can test the Power Supply and/or the Power Backplane?
What color LED you see on actual Power Supply?

Cheers!
Vaibhav
R Washington

Thanks guys,

It is dual PSU however testing with a new PSU. This the motherboard and backplane have all been replaced but not the cables or the power switch.

Will iLo work if the server cannot turn on???

The on/off button is in standby and the light on the back of the PSU goes green for a split second and then goes off with the power.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi there,

Will iLo work if the server cannot turn on???

"The on/off button is in standby and the light on the back of the PSU goes green for a split second and then goes off with the power"... that's very good info..

ILO works even if server is not powering on provided power is being supplied to the system board...

in your cases, PSU LED turns Green... means it gets power... then it goes OFF... means power goes off...

So if your have tested with different power supplies in the same slot or in different slots and same behavior is observed... then all the PSUs can not be bad.... it's a power cable/power socket or Power backplane which is faulty...

PSU should always have a green LED even if server is switched off or there is no LED on power Switch...

So check with different power cables, different wall outlet... if you have UPS then try direct connection... if no luch replace the power backplane again

thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If its still a dead server, have them replace the server board again and test it. I had several dead or flaky boards brought out the last time HP support came out under Carepaq.
R Washington

Update:

I have today replaced the processor which now allows the server to boot. However, when using the original motherboard, 3 of the 6 fans failed. Regardless of swapping them around, the same slots were failing.

Reverted to the new motherboard and all powered up ok. Thank you for all your help and suggestions
R Washington

Update:

I have today replaced the processor which now allows the server to boot. However, when using the original motherboard, 3 of the 6 fans failed. Regardless of swapping them around, the same slots were failing.

Reverted to the new motherboard and all powered up ok. Thank you for all your help and suggestions