ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

Failed RAID6 (ADG) after backplane replacement - Smart Array P420i

Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

Failed RAID6 (ADG) after backplane replacement - Smart Array P420i

I am running a Smart Array P420i (firmware 8.32) on a ML350p G8 server - using LFF drives.

I have a 40TB Logical drive that was working before I replaced the backplane. I replaced the blackplane because every drive I put into a specific slot, always came up with a failed drive.

After I rebooted, the logical drive showed as failed. I found that I didnt connect a SAS/SATA cable tight enough and SSA showed that i was missing drives 1 and 2.

After I fixed the cable issue and booted back up, it shows all the drives online, but now drives 1 and 2 are marked as spare drives. I have not enabled the logical drive yet with this new configuration. The spares, before the backplane replacement, were in Bays 5 and 12. before all of this, there should be RAID data on drives 1 and 2.

I know that RAID information is stored on the drives... but currently the logical drive is disabled in SSA because I dont like how it is showing drives 1 and 2 as spares.

drives 1 and 2 are on another backplane that I did not replace or remove.

all drives in the cage with the replaced back plane were replaced in the exact order they were original installed in

any thoughts?

UPDATE: the newly installed backplane had an old firmware on it, i got it updated. everything is on version 3.3 (the replacement was at 2.x)

Spare disks location is still Bay 1 and 2 and I dont understand why and not sure if I should "Re-enable Failed Logical Drive"

I have 3 total logical volumes on this P420i and the other 2 are online, with no issues.

1 REPLY 1
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Failed RAID6 (ADG) after backplane replacement - Smart Array P420i

Hello,

In this situation,

I would suggest you have a proper case be logged with HPE, and share the appropriate logs for further analysis..

Because we don't what was the actual configuration.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo